• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Rallyace

Sump and sump baffles

Rallyace

I will soon be rebuilding my 1900 rally engine and would like some advice on ensuring that I end up with an oil tight engine. 

I will be installing a set of Longman sump baffles and would like to know what people have done previously. Clearly, I will need an additional sump gasket, but what else should I look out for and use? The sump is the standard steel item. Is a sealant advisable between the block and aluminium spacer? TIA

DamirGTI

Sealing aluminum to aluminum - sealant (silicone RTV or newer types synthetic Polyurethane sealants)

Sealing aluminum to steel - gasket ("dry fit" use just the gasket , optionally can coat the gasket with shellac or similar so it seals better)

D

Rallyace

Thanks Damir,

I've ordered some Threebond products, which PeterT seems to like. 

TB1211, TB1215 and a cleaner, TB6602W.

petert

Yes, ThreeBond 1211 is perfect for Al-Al sealing.

Ashman

Hello

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what is the most straightforward sump baffle to fit a 1.6 8v GTi? Have searched through some of the archive, but most talk is regard to the 16v, so wondered what is the best way to go on my 8v 1.6?

Thank you

Ash

Anthony
38 minutes ago, Ashman said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what is the most straightforward sump baffle to fit a 1.6 8v GTi? Have searched through some of the archive, but most talk is regard to the 16v, so wondered what is the best way to go on my 8v 1.6?

For road and mild track day use, arguably you don't need to, but given that the 1.6 engine has a full depth sump (it lacks the spacer plate found on the 1.9) then the easiest/cheapest option is to just fit a sump and oil pump baffle from an XU 2 litre (XU10) engine.  You'll need to change the oil temp wiring plug and re-route the wire to the front of the sump, and assuming that it's an alloy sump from an AC model (as most) then you'll need the matching sump bolts as well.

Ashman

Lovely. Thanks for the information.