• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joris_andriesse

VTS steering rack disassembly

joris_andriesse

Hi,

With help of some other, older, post I was able to disassemble my VTS (phase 2) steering rack (love this forum). So far so good, but now I do have some doubt whether it is in good shape, especially concerning the pignion.

I do have a normal PAS steering rack, the pignion has no play and with just a very little bit of tapping I'm able to get the pignion out of the housing. (photo 1 and 2)

My VTS pignion on the other hand, has like a 5mm of play. I can push it a bit out so the big bearing comes out/lose, but it won't go any further (just gave a light tap, didn't dear to try harder because I was afraid damaging it). Photo 3 and 4

Is it supposed to have this kind of play?

Other question, it all feels sollid so I think it's in good shape, but where possble I would like to change the parst that can changed easily. For example the rubber ring that is at the end of the pignion (photo 5), but are there other parts that can/should be changed? Can you guy's help me with part numbers/ places where thos can be ordered?

Many thanks in advance!

20220205_180951.jpg

20220205_181021.jpg

20220205_195237.jpg

20220205_195250.jpg

20220205_195428.jpg

SRDT

There is no official Peugeot rebuild kit unlike what you can find for the BX, XM or Xantia. The kits you find online should work, as long as the pinion manufacturers (Bendix, TRW, ZF...) used the same internal parts.

If they did then you could probably take your VTS pinion apart and use the splined end from a 205 pinion.

joris_andriesse
13 hours ago, SRDT said:

then you could probably take your VTS pinion apart and use the splined end from a 205 pinion.

I would think that is not possible, I would expect that the pignion has a different amount of teeth, thats why the vts rack is a 'quick' rack.

SRDT

The pinion end is linked to the splined/flat end by a torsion bar:

DSCN9694.jpg.aeefd51d166dc072af01f63378d

joris_andriesse
7 hours ago, SRDT said:

The pinion end is linked to the splined/flat end by a torsion bar:

How do you get it out of the housing?
I did remove that locking spring/ring thingy, which locks the bearing. But than?

SRDT

I have never seen a ZF pinion taken apat so your guess is as good as mine. Do you think the flat end drive could be inserted from the top?

joris_andriesse

Did get the pimion out of the housing.
I hoped to be able to get the seal rings (is that the right name??) out to replace these, but no luck with that. Little one is stuck in the housing, how do you get that one ot? The otherone is blocked by the bearing, which also seems to be stuck.
Any tips here?

20220206_211653.jpg

20220206_211726.jpg

20220206_211717.jpg

20220206_211706.jpg

20220206_211710.jpg

Edited by joris_andriesse

SRDT

The bearing is a press fit. You need a bearing puller, and a new bearing.

• Like 1

joris_andriesse
12 hours ago, SRDT said:

The bearing is a press fit. You need a bearing puller, and a new bearing.

Hanging it upside down in the vise and tapping it gently with a hammer did the trick, the bearing came of pretty smooth. Same with the bearing/seal ring in the housing, small piece of tube of the same size and using the vise as a press did make it come loose.
Finding out what can and can't be done was after all the hardest job, the work itself was at the end very well doable ;) :)

Richie-Van-GTi

Slightly off topic, which UJ do you use with the square drive PAS rack?

joris_andriesse

Last post on page 1 and more on page 2

welshpug
On 2/9/2022 at 6:37 PM, Richie-Van-GTi said:

Slightly off topic, which UJ do you use with the square drive PAS rack?

a square one :ph34r:

there isnt a 205 one that'll go straight on, needs to be one adapted from a few different columns, Tom Fenton has done it I think.

joris_andriesse
4 hours ago, SRDT said:

Looks like this italian company has repair kits for TRW and ZF pinions:

https://www.emmetec.com

Tried a quick search, but not realy clear what is in the kit. I had the idea that it was only the seal rings and maybe the bearing, but those are easily available.

SRDT

It's probaby better to send an email, the best way must be to phone them as long as you speak italian.

You can find pictures of some kits on ebay but the sellers are from russia so it's not the best time to do business with them.