• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

GTIJulian

205 Gti 1.9 87 D reg new CV JOINT needed

GTIJulian

Hi all,

Having trouble finding an OE equivalent CV Joint where the seller can defo confirm it is the correct one. 

Peugeot don't make them any more, can't tell me the part no., nor locate my VIN - it's too old!

My parts CD (image attached) gives numbers for the whole shaft only.

Mr Auto have two - SKF or MAPCO, both of which are decent quality (the others probably are not that good) but they aren’t delivering to UK yet due to BREXIT.

https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/search/?q=cv joint

MicksGarage (are GSP parts any good?), has two examples but can't confirm which one is correct.

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/cv-joints/peugeot/peugeot-205/205-1983-to-1987/5730-1-9-gti-128-1905/products

Autodoc, Europarts both need a part number to confirm anything.

Carparts online, Neat can’t give a price so no availability.

The cut off to distinguish between years of manufacture/registration(?) is often late 87, which corresponds to my Pug's reg - I usually assume it is pre this so phase 1.5, NOT II where parts are more often available.

Other option is to get the whole driveshaft, but I've already got SHAFTEC CV boots, inner and outer x 2.

One CV joint needs replacing RHS, 2, boots LHS.

Cheers

Julian

IMG_0921.jpg

Edited by GTIJulian

SRDT

Peugeot was only selling whole drive shafts both new or remanufactured. If they ever sold the CV joint alone it must have been a dealer's special order.

It looks like there is only one kind of original Peugeot drive shafts but that shouldn't be the case for aftermarket ones so even if you find the right CV joint for a 1.9 it may not fit your particular driveshaft. On the other hand even if a CV joint fit it may not be up to the task for long

DamirGTI

GKN 303403

D

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

There are a couple of different types of OE shafts. Some have a removeable cv joint, others do not. A photo with the boot removed and majority of grease wiped off would allow us to tell you which. If it’s the removable type then rather than getting so pre occupied with part numbers I’d order one and if it doesn’t fit send it back.

welshpug
23 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

GKN 303403

D

LÖBRO Joint Kit, drive shaft in the AUTODOC app https://m.autodoc.co.uk/lobro/1387287

this one looks spot on, as Tom mentioned pull the boot back and check what it looks like, count the splines to confirm.

Screenshot_20220206-230706.jpg

Edited by welshpug

GTIJulian

Thanks all for your help.

I got SHAFTEC CV boots from OnlineAutomotive via ebay, They were helpful on the phone and provided a better quote for several items, but couldn't get CV joints.

Autodoc supplied the CV joint - it took a little while to arrive - no import duty. A guy phoned me before dispatch to confirm although I paid the extra few £s for easier returns.

Cheers

Julian

20220225_133434.jpg

20220225_135035.jpg

20220225_133439.jpg

Tideee

...Sorry to slightly hijack this thread :P but does anyone know a reference or where (...and if !!) the "tripod" bearings are also still available for 1.9 shafts - mine has collapsed with little needle rollers everywhere :(

Thanks in advance :P

IMG_0849.jpg

welshpug

they aren't readily available, you'll likely find that the cup is pretty worn and beaten up if the tripod has fallen apart.

• Thanks 1

Tideee
16 hours ago, welshpug said:

they aren't readily available, you'll likely find that the cup is pretty worn and beaten up if the tripod has fallen apart.

It was fine before I took the shaft out and then when I took off the boot to check grease levels, I didn't realize that the three rollers weren't captive and they then came off, spitting little roller bearings on the floor.....doohh !!:angry:

The cup etc is fine, just a shame to have to scrap a complete shaft because of my stupidity :rolleyes: 

Tom Fenton

Pick them all up, degrease everything, then reassemble. It’s fiddly but perfectly do-able. Use a dab of grease to hold the needles to the shaft as you reassemble then slide the spherical ring on.

petert

99 in total!