• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Nbettley

Thermostat switch wiring

Nbettley

Hi Guys,

Following refit of an mi16 engine  i am struggling to get the fan to kick in when it gets up to temperature, I have let it go ab bit above operating temperature on the gauge but then I chicken out and switch it off as I don't want it to boil over.  Firstly does anyone know at what point the low speed and high speed fan should kick in? Secondly does any one have a wiring diagram which shows the wiring from the 3 pin thermostat switch to the shunt box and resistor?

Anthony

Temperature wise it'll depend which thermoswitch you have installed in the radiator, typically distinguishable by a coloured band around it.

The standard red banded GTi switch switches the slow speed fan on at 97 degrees and the high speed fan on at 102 degrees from memory - that's a little before 2/3 and around 3/4 on the gauge respectively.

If you pop the connector off the thermoswitch and use a piece of wire to short pairs of the terminals, you can check that the fan works on both slow and high speed - if the slow speed resistor isn't working, then yes, the gauge can get disconcertingly high before the fan switches on.

petert

It’s also important that the thermostat temperature matches the radiator switch temperature. For example, if you have an 82 fan switch with a 92 thermostat, the fans will never turn off. I’ve found that in Oz, 92 and 92 is the best compromise.