• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Kane

Modern refresh for the 205

Kane

I have a fully stripped car in the garage that I had hoped to rebuild as a sprint / hillclimb 205 but as is often the case family and other life commitments has made me rethink my plans. Now, what I would like is to prepare the car to go back on the road but make worthwhile modifications as I put it back together again.

It would be good to get peoples thoughts on the various items listed below and any other suggestions you would offer. 

Shell structure:

any localised strengthening / modifications that are worthwhile for a road car? Strut tops, strut brace, rear turrets (overkill?)

front end (suspension / steering):

subframe strengthening, 

modified / different wishbones  

upgraded dampers, 

arb size

Quick rack, 

Power steering 

Uprated bushes

rear suspension:

Bar size 

Arb

Damper choice. Modified damper location for more efficient wheel rate? 

Solid beam mounts

brakes:

Lightweight options?

Abs?

wheel / tyre choice:

Again lightweight options? Size / widths

Engine:

I have an Mi16 engine I rebuilt a few years back although stupidly didn’t replace the liners at the time. I’d be happy to give it a bit of attention to bring it back up to scratch but  would a more modern unit make sense? I am really keen to turbocharge whatever does end up going in so something to bear in mind. 

Sarty's xsara turbo looked interesting and is an Avenue I’d be willing to consider. 

If moving away from the Peugeot platform the chosen engine has to be readily available and easy to work with. 

gearbox:

Presume ML/E box given the turbo if staying Peugeot engine platform. Are LSD’s readily available for these? Standard Gearsets ok for road use in a 205? 

There’s a whole host of other practical items that I’ve considered as well i.e electric windows, heated mirrors, improved lighting etc etc. But if you’ve got other “must haves” in your list of upgrades I’d be grateful to hear them. 

As mentioned, it’s a blank canvas at the moment as there’s nothing left on the shell apart from the windscreen. I’m reasonable with a Tig welder so happy to make changes to the structural items if worthwhile and would love to have a crack at fabricating other ancillary items (ie turbo manifold, exhaust etc). 

I’m not fixed on a specific look, I would really just like the performance and aesthetic of the 205 albeit with a touch of modernisation. 

Let me know your thoughts. 

Kane

Forgot to add, I’ll be compiling updates in this thread from my own research as well as others suggestions to create a build list for the project. 

Gaz D

Sounds like a great project mate. The “modern way” is to go completely standard at the minute which in my eyes is a bit of a shame as back in the day people added their stamp on things. Some in my opinion looked terrible, some looked great but ain’t that what it’s about? 
my suggestion would be go your own way, enjoy the build and enjoy the ride.

Gohn

isn't that the same project you've just shelved?

still looks an awful lot like a hill climb build

Tom Fenton

Most of your ideas sound ok to me, not sure I’d bother with abs, and rear turrets sounds a bit heavy duty for “just” a road car. 
However over and above all that I would say be very wary of setting out an enormous list of must haves as that could lead to the car being a 10 year or more project. 
I’d suggest doing it a bit at a time and then use it. You will much more quickly and accurately decide on what is next when using it. Good luck.

Kane

The reason for stopping the hill climb build is not so much the build itself but the lack of time / resources to actually compete when it is finished.

I’m not particularly bothered how long it takes to do as i have the space to let it sit in the garage. I just want to end up with something I can use daily and be happy with. 

Agreed Tom. I’ve had countless plans for this car and all have fizzled out for one reason or another. Getting it back on the road in a decent condition is the top priority. It would however be good to tackle the jobs now whilst the car is in bits. 

Gohn

it is way easier to access and upgrade before its all back together

but maybe just bite off a bit at a time, could be a bit daunting otherwise

with Tom's suggestions it'll be a nice running car

then you can enjoy driving it in between as you go and there wont be such a large upfront cost

do the liners, tigweld the subframe, slip in an LSD and its away!

jamorgan4

You have a lot of plans for this vehicle, good luck and have fun!