• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Theo205

1.9 8v pinging issue

Theo205

Haven't been on this forum for 15 years now.
Life happened, work family children, so I had my 205  1.9 in storage for many years.

I'm now trying to get it back on the road.

The car runs pretty good but there's some serious pinging going on under 2k rpm.

Petrol is fresh, Vacuum advance and hose is good car sounds and pulls nicely over 2k.

Then I realized that this was an issue I was trying to sort back in 2007, I even found the related post on this forum :) OLD TIMING POST 
I believe that the springs in the distributor assembly have gone lose and they give too much advance too early so Ideally id like to test another dizzy.

So I found this: MAPCO DIZZY  for a decent price.
Before I proceed with the purchase Id  like to ask whether anybody ever used this reproduction dizzy assembly.
Any help/info welcome

Cheers,

Theo

DamirGTI
9 hours ago, Theo205 said:

So I found this: MAPCO DIZZY  for a decent price.

Before I proceed with the purchase Id  like to ask whether anybody ever used this reproduction dizzy assembly.

Knock off Chinese crap - do not buy !! Early/first Mapco distributors where good , as they where OE rebuilt Bosch units , new ones are 100% Chinese made .

Myself personally , no , but we had a few members bought those and didn't work .

Send you're OE dizzy to be checked/rebuild @ https://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/

D

Theo205
5 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

Knock off Chinese crap - do not buy !! Early/first Mapco distributors where good , as they where OE rebuilt Bosch units , new ones are 100% Chinese made .

Myself personally , no , but we had a few members bought those and didn't work .

Send you're OE dizzy to be checked/rebuild @ https://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/

D

Damn it I knew it it was too good to be true.
I thought MAPCO was German made!

Thanks for the info Damir,  Im currently waiting for a response from ignition solutions

DamirGTI

First ones by "Mapco" where good , when the just started doing them , they where collecting old OE Bosch units and recondition them somewhere in EU and sold under "Mapco" brand name .

Later , they started making them from scratch in China , all have same spring rate inside , weights , vacuum units etc. so one type but listed for various different models !!

Can find them on bulk sale on Alibaba/Aliexpress and the likes , same identical crap .

H&H are recommended , myself been using them too and they did a good job .

D