• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petert

Cylinder Head Identification

petert

I need help identifying a cylinder head. I've never seen a casting like it before. Head A is a regular D6B, with standard size, stainless steel valves. Head B is bare and measures up with standard size Ø41.6mm inlet seats. The shape of the chamber is weird though. It has had a heavy skim, but look at the bulge, where normally it's wedged. Any ideas?

Head D6B.jpg

Head Unknown.jpg

jord294

1.6 early head?

petert
2 hours ago, jord294 said:

1.6 early head?

Maybe. I know early heads were small valves though. The date on head A is '87. I can't decipher the date on head B.

Thijs_Rallye

It looks like the combustion chamber has the shape of the group A cylinder head. Page 22 of the attached PDF.

image.thumb.png.4c208701bef32ff527ff3d894e2a2f9b.png

205_Group_A_1.pdf

DamirGTI

Interesting , possibly one of the newer/late XU heads .

Such as :

XU10J2U RFW engine from the PSA vans Jumper/Boxer etc. , mixture of XU 5/7/9 8v head on a 2.0l 86mm bore iron block :

rfw 1.jpg

rfw 2.jpg

rfw 3.jpg

Never took one of those 8v RFW van engines apart , thus no idea what kind of combustion chambers look on those heads (can't find photo of an RFW head off either)  .. possibly might be the one ?

8v RFW head has two different valve sizes too - 41.6 inlet / 34.5 exhaust valves dia. , or can be also 42.60 inlet / 34.5 exhaust = strange engine !

Seems like there was at least 5 different versions of the combustion chambers on a XU 5/7/9 8v heads .

I have some weird ones too :

Late XU7 LFX head with kinda "swirl" chamber design :

citroen xanita LFX .jpg

head ?!.jpg

D

petert

I'd say it's a Group A head for sure. It would definitely be 83.5mm across Section A-A had it not been skimmed. It's 83.5mm across the other axis.  XU10J2 heads are approx. Ø85mm, I have one here. The date stamp is also definitely '87. Interestingly, the valve guides have been re-installed after porting, which has been done beautifully. Definitely a work of art. It also came with a PTS 7048 cam, although worn, but nothing else. ie cam caps, valves, springs etc., have all been lost. I can save it though.

SRDT

There is a BX Sport head by Danielson that is supposed to be close if not the same that the later XU9JA head. There is also the "Kit PTS 125" head for the XU5J and XU5JA that is probably related to the BX head. Is there any yello paint on the outside?

DamirGTI
28 minutes ago, petert said:

XU10J2 heads are approx. Ø85mm, I have one here.

With round or square/cathedral inlet port entry's ?

I have too a few XU10 8v heads - XU10J2 and XU10J2TE , they're all round inlet port entry heads , obviously different chambers than XU5/9 , central spark plug position etc. .

But this PSA/FIAT van XU10J2U 8v head has square/cathedral inlet port entry , like old XU5/9 heads , and it's bolted on a 2.0l block ! which makes it mixture of XU9 and XU10 ?! .. as said, never seen underside/chambers of that head on a XU10J2U .

D

petert
8 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

With round or square/cathedral inlet port entry's ?

It’s XU10J2TE with the round ports etc. I’m going to use the valves etc out of that for the Group A head.

No yellow paint, it’s been grit blastered.

Edited by petert

SRDT

Aren't the XU10J2TE exhaust valves sodium filled? Is that needed on a NA engine?

Edited by SRDT

petert
32 minutes ago, SRDT said:

Aren't the XU10J2TE exhaust valves sodium filled? Is that needed on a NA engine?

Probably not, but they're here and available, so they're going in.

mollisk

Longman group 'A' engines had a similarly shaped combustion chamber, although your head would appear to have been cast with that combustion chamber profile.

7999271982_1a02d981ea_k.jpg