• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

pugfrank

Engine bay surface rust

pugfrank

Hi, 

Please could people recommend best power tools to remove surface rust in the tight corners and areas of my engine bay.  I applied some hydrate 80 a number of years ago but really want to get areas rubbed back and painted to be more presentable. wondering what's the best power tools to get into the tight areas?   

PXL_20210915_181557121.jpg

PXL_20210915_181608253.jpg

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

I'm not a pro** but I am thinking 

some kind of Dremel ? small diameter fitting for the tight hard to reach corners? maybe even a hand held drill mounted wire brush attachment? not super fierce speed though. maybe a sanding wheel in the drill softer. 

I can say from experience if you carefully support the gearbox with axle stand or jack or cross member support 

beam - that you could easily remove the battery tray to get better access to it and the surrounding?

probably common knowledge but there's four bolts that hold the battery tray to the chassis, one big nut to hold the bolt from the gearbox. the other two nuts one each side just hold the mounting down. as long as the jack or the stand cant move laterally it's not that heavy and should be easy to support give a bit more space to work around 

and clean of the battery and gearbox separately a lot easier in my opinion

**I could be wrong about the dremel maybe wire brush a bit harsh but that's what I would use ,

maybe some other pro guys know much more and better than me and if so pls cut me some slack if I am not correct, just trying to kick things off with the first comment also /start a discussion about it 

pugfrank
47 minutes ago, Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi said:

I'm not a pro** but I am thinking 

some kind of Dremel ? small diameter fitting for the tight hard to reach corners? maybe even a hand held drill mounted wire brush attachment? not super fierce speed though. maybe a sanding wheel in the drill softer. 

I can say from experience if you carefully support the gearbox with axle stand or jack or cross member support 

beam - that you could easily remove the battery tray to get better access to it and the surrounding?

probably common knowledge but there's four bolts that hold the battery tray to the chassis, one big nut to hold the bolt from the gearbox. the other two nuts one each side just hold the mounting down. as long as the jack or the stand cant move laterally it's not that heavy and should be easy to support give a bit more space to work around 

and clean of the battery and gearbox separately a lot easier in my opinion

**I could be wrong about the dremel maybe wire brush a bit harsh but that's what I would use ,

maybe some other pro guys know much more and better than me and if so pls cut me some slack if I am not correct, just trying to kick things off with the first comment also /start a discussion about it 

B) thank you.