• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danj.pdx

Diagnosis - cut out at cruising speed - late 1.6 XU

danj.pdx

Hello all,

Has anyone dealt with similar symptoms to this? This is a '92 1.6 GTi on the west coast of the US. 

At part throttle cruising speed, around 3k to 3.5k RPM, the motor will very briefly (like 1 second) cut out, then keep running as normal. At the same time, the tach jumps a few hundred revs, then goes back to normal. This only happens when the car is warmed up and has been cruising for a few minutes.  This happens randomly, sometimes every few minutes, sometimes a couple times w/in a minute. There doesn't seem to be a pattern.

This used to happen with less than 1/2 tank of fuel. It's now happening regularly. Give it some throttle and it picks up just fine. Besides this cruising throttle issue, it runs great.

It has a new fuel pump & filter, coolant sensor, tune up parts (belts, filters, plugs, cap, rotor, etc), tachy relay.

Have any of you experienced this, is it common? Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Dan.

Tom Fenton

Yes I've had this, it was a duff air flow meter for me.

DamirGTI

Ignition module ..

D

• Like 1

danj.pdx

Thanks Damir and Tom. 

I have replaced the Ignition module, so maybe the airflow meter. I'll clean it before replacing. Likely not an inexpensive part to source.

Cheers,

Dan.

Thijs_Rallye

A jumping tacho would indicate a failure in the ignition leads to me. I've had this twice before, one lead had a intermittent connection. A new set of ignition leads fixed it for me.

AFM considering age should be checked as well as Tom said. They often have a spot* where the resistive film has worn through. Re-routing the wiper arm could solve that for a while. (*where the wiper resides during cruise)

• Like 1

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

I noticed my old AFM has one position about half open where it sticks. 

I thought it was because it was dirty so I cleaned it out but still does it 

apparently as we discussed it is the bearings that go