• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

matara

205 Heater controls - which way is off?

matara

I have pulled apart the dash in our 1991 205 Si to put a new heater core in to get the heater working. I have pulled out the heater control switch and cables to lubricate all the flaps and wires to make them smooth. I have put the heater switch back in but I cannot for the life of me work out which is on or off on the central dial. I think the cog has slipped on the switch, so I took it apart but can't get it to move from the fan symbol on the left around to the fan symbol on the right.

I think that the off position should have the orange dot at 12 oclock, and then you move it left for recirc increasing fan speed to max at 7pm, or right for fresh air with the fan increasing to max when the orange dot is at 5pm

1630286344022.png

However at 12pm the fan is constantly on. I even went as far to buy a second hand switch and fascia with all the cables attached, but that one locks at the recirc icon at 1pm, and will turn back the other way to max fan speed at 5pm but the fan stays on at 12pm!!

Aussie cars had aircon, so they have a different fascia with the snow flake symbol on, so dont' act like non a/c cars.

Sorry I've probably made you more confused than I am!!

Thanks for any pointers

Steve

stewal

Your suggestions as to where the control should be is correct.

the problem is the control operates a wiper over a pcb track which after 30 years will be worn out, often the recirc side of the fan control works better because it has been used less. You could try cleaning it with contact cleaner but its likely to be wear rather that dirty.

i fitted an isolation switch in the glovebox to stop the fan running all the time when not needed and a second switch to operate the fan at full speed when required. 

Even in the best of health the fans were never powerful by modern standards.

• Like 1