• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

jerrytug

My first 205

jerrytug

Hi all, I have just bought a 1996 205 D turbo, the cornering is so tight, I love it.  

38045329-2138-4535-BC88-D7277B1F57F8.jpeg

• Like 1

Gohn

they go where you point them

good on ya, good car !

3 door too

great little engine, go forever if well cared for

if in doubt change the timing belt, new fluids ? filters ?

• Thanks 1

dcc

That looks like Forbes' old motor

• Thanks 1

xstian

Good little cars the D-Turbo, I used to have a silver one for a while. I assume yours in an Inca (?) rather than and actual D-Turbo model? Not sure if there is any actual difference, but the D-Turbo had a GTi interior, although in a different colour and the GTi  front subframe, with I think smaller ARB.

Nice cars as above, you shouldn't have a lot of trouble with that if serviced regularly.

jerrytug
22 hours ago, dcc said:

That looks like Forbes' old motor

Yes well spotted!  It was his and his 17th 205 apparently.. is he on here?

jerrytug
3 hours ago, xstian said:

Good little cars the D-Turbo, I used to have a silver one for a while. I assume yours in an Inca (?) rather than and actual D-Turbo model? Not sure if there is any actual difference, but the D-Turbo had a GTi interior, although in a different colour and the GTi  front subframe, with I think smaller ARB.

Nice cars as above, you shouldn't have a lot of trouble with that if serviced regularly.

I'm a bit vague about the actual original model, the engine No. is different on the V5 so a bit of detective work is needed.

Gohn
On 8/9/2021 at 11:03 PM, xstian said:

Good little cars the D-Turbo, I used to have a silver one for a while. I assume yours in an Inca (?) rather than and actual D-Turbo model? Not sure if there is any actual difference, but the D-Turbo had a GTi interior, although in a different colour and the GTi  front subframe, with I think smaller ARB

I thought all the turbo diesel 205's were exactly the same engine/suspension wise ? (ignoring the earlier vs later version minor engine differences). I've seen the DTurbo badged Inca, Mardi Gras, Sceptre and STDT but the only difference seems to be in the trim spec or number of doors. (STDT was the fanciest 3 door trim spec only produced in '93). If you strip all that away underneath the skin they're all the same GTI subframe, front end etc.

Could be wrong though, being as I'm looking from a far away model starved location

no doubt the dabbler with ONLY SEVENTEEN x 205's would know for sure. .

• Thanks 1

jerrytug

A sightly interesting update if anyone is interested. I booked the car into the garage for a cam belt etc, and they had enormous trouble sourcing routine service parts until a lot of research work revealed the engine is a modified 1.9 Citroen XUD9T, which has quite a few differences.  A routine job became expensive, and a DIY owner would have struggled without the garage's access to parts databases.

Oh well it goes like stink anyway, for a diesel.   It almost has two power bands, a low end grunt and a kick in the arse high up (4500? rpm) and there are more horses to be unleashed without a doubt.  Two powerbands could also be described as a gap in the mid-range...

welshpug

you really don't want to be revving an xud that high, XUD9T make peak torque at 3k and peak power at 4k.

the belt kit and water pump etc shouldn't be much different in price to the original XUD7, small variances in fitment through the ages is about it, the belt itself is the same for all.

• Thanks 1

jerrytug

Thank you Pitcrew.  The revs was a wild guess since no diesel 205's have rev counters anyway. 

The car is very promising but pushing the cornering limits of grip, Iiam finding the steering less sharp than expected, it seemss to be the 3.2 turns PAS rack, and already I'm thinking about higher geared racks (Citroen Xsara 2.8 turns?)  and  electric pumps, maybe off aa 106 to keep it in the family.

Jolly good fun already thouhgh!

welshpug

stdt has a rev counter, I'm sure others do also, just not all.

jerrytug
21 minutes ago, welshpug said:

stdt has a rev counter, I'm sure others do also, just not all.

Thanks welshpug, in that case  I will start keeping a lookout for a Special Trim D-turbo instruument panel! 

Sorry for calling you 'pitcrew' I am a bit slow on the uptake with forum stuff!!

Edited by jerrytug

SeasidePete

Evening all. I have a diesel 205 Mardi Gras 1.8d (1994) which I've partly stripped for odd bits and bobs for my 205gti.

It's free to a good home if anyone can remove it.

It rolls but won't drive.

• Thanks 1

jerrytug

Hi Seaside Pete, I would love to crawl over it and buy a few bits, but you're too far. 

SeasidePete

No probs Jerry. Just to be clear I don't want anything for the car or any parts. I have what I needed from it and so it just sits there on the drive and the wife wants rid of it.

Whats left is free

In case it's of interest I took:

Dual rad fans off and transplanted to the GTI

Climate controls off (my GTI had awfully brushed chrome things)

Various wiring looms and connectors 

Rear lights and fogs

Glove box

• Thanks 1