• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

XEgang

Picking up my first 205 this weekend

XEgang

My first car! XE model, very low mileage. Going to use it for an inner city runaround for a year or two until I need something bigger. Fully intend to keep it long term though.

Slightly apprehensive as I haven't driven in nearly two years (and passed just before that). But ultimately the chance to own my favourite car of all time is one I am absolutely not going to pass up.

I'm going to be going through this forum for general advice but if anything comes to mind while reading this that you think would be useful for a first time owner to know, don't hesitate to tell me!

Gohn

I know its not the done thing on a car maintenance forum

but you'd be better to walk, ride or catch a tram

however, if you're gunna have a car as transport, it might as well be a 205 !

a brief checklist of suggestions:

1. start a logbook . Know your Rego, VIN, Build Date. Note repairs/maintenance, dates/mileage for reference

2. get a 1/4" socket set . 4-14mm complete with driver, extenders, uni, handle, bits etc. Aldi does one for $30, made in taiwan best I've ever seen for the money

3. get a 1/2" socket set. sockets only 10-32mm complete, nothing missing

4. get a 1/2" driver, breaker bar, and at least two extender bars

5. get two jack stands and a floor jack

6. Do all the basics first, don't rely on the previous owners guesses/promises:

- change the engine oil and filter

- new air filter

- new fuel filter

- flush the coolant and replace with new

- change the timing belt (regardless of low mileage, its also how long its been sitting there not just the miles on the clock)

- bleed the brakes and new brake fluid

- check the front brake pads even though you've low mileage

- new power steer fluid

- new gearbox oil

- check tyre pressures are good

- check all lights and bulbs, headlights, brakelights, indicators, hazards, etc

- keeping all the maintenance fluids and filters and belts good, and tyres pumped means you should never have to replace a radiator, brake line, gearbox or engine. regular maintenance issss gooot

just start simple and slowly, none of its easy and everyone has made the same mistakes

then drive around and listen for clunks or weird sounds and look for any drips on the floor when you get home

dont get any stupid aftermarket shock absorbers or coil springs, the originals are way better

• Like 1

barneys66

Welcome to the forum - great choice, glad you've got something you really want, and good luck with learning as you go :)