• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Eugene wilson

hello again,ive had a problem with the tick over on my 1.9 1990 since i bought it.it turns over and starts well and starts ticking over for about 30 seconds then dies out,then when restarted and revved a bit it seems to be ok ,ive used £15 quid airflow meter cleaner with no effect,it does tickover slightly higher than the 1 mark on the counter,the injectors have been serviced and the spark plugs are ok,the engine has been rebuilt also i think its got to be the air flow meter,does the £250 refurb work on the meters??

Tom Fenton

Sounds like it needs setting up properly

Eugene wilson

thanks tom ,the air meters screw is completely down and still the engine runs higher than normal ,the throttle tickover screw is siezed in so i think i need to release it,no chance its solid,might have to remove the throttle drill and re tap the ajuster if mole grips dont work.do you know the colour wires that go in the 1990 1.9 gti  horn ,ive got a green with a yellow stripe female going nowhere below the headlight,a blue one connected to a aftermarket horn the blue and the green look original .then theres a blue one as an earth ,so theres a blue going in and a blue going to earth and a green yellow female on its own .the horn works across the battery ,i only tried the horn on the first ignition, the windows work and indecators but not the horn , ill keep on trying .

Telf

Ref the horn just test for 12V and an earth and go from there. The rest of the gash wiring just needs tidying up to connect to the horn.

Its probably an earth issue. The earths points behind the headlights are crap. 

Eugene wilson

thanks for the advice paul,it all helps,im just not on the forum all the time,the original fiam air horn had been replaced with an 10 quid one that worked before the respray,the live feed was a blue original wire,then  the mot guy put a new blue earth  wire straight onto the slam panel to body bolt,and there was an original green/yellow hanging in the headlight area,i put it back as i thoght it was before ,it didnt work,by luck really i attached the battery to the green relay and it didnt click so i tried one out of the interior fuse box and horn worked thank goodness.

welshpug

with the afm bypass screw all the way in it will be running pretty rich.

regarding the throttle stop being seized, I would not worry about that, its likely to be pretty close to where it needs to be!   use the air bypass screw, make sure its clean.

check the tps is working and set correctly.

a Haynes workshop manual covers setting up and testing the Jetronic injection system.

ian010778

@DamirGTI did a great post about this with a great base setup for AFM/Idle speed screw/TPS screw setting but neither the site search nor Google will pick it up just now.

Hopefully someone can dig it out???

However, as everyone has said, it won't work unless everything's clean and working properly and there are no blockages and/or air leaks.

Ian.

Edited by ian010778

ian010778

Info' here should help you out Eugene.

• Like 1

Eugene wilson

thanks for that,i ll  have a go after ive sorted the gear linkage  i dont know if the sliding ajusting ball joint needs to be tightened up,the gears work fine with it loose ,i thought id try to tighten it and see the results but it just turns round,i rang baker bm today with no answer,they might not work on mondays,or maybe covid,??