• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
K20205

Wipers will not rest at stop position.

K20205

I have been tidying up the wiring recently and i when i switched the wipers on and off the wiper will stop in the middle of the windscreen. I have to play with the stalk to make them rest in the stop position

what could be the cause of this? Everything is working as it should it just wont rest where it should.

thanks

stewal

When you turn the wipers off a supply is maintained to the park switch within the motor which disconnects supply when the wipers are in the park position.

The fault is likely to be the motor, stalk or the wiring in between - as you have done some tidying of the wiring I would start there looking for bad connections but the contacts within the stalk can become poor over time: I have had good results with spraying contact cleaner into them whilst working the stalk once the cowling is off. Use proper contact cleaner rather than the standard WD40 type stuff.

I got some proper WD40 branded contact cleaner from screwfix or toolstation or somewhere similar and it has proved very helpful as these cars sink further into middle age!

stewal

Forgot to add: alot of the wiper control is via a relay on the fuse board: easy enough to swap out to test but was any of your wiring tidying in there?

• Like 1

K20205

Ive mostly tidied up the engine loom wires as the engine is not one from a peugeot,

its a basemodel shell, also the motor for the wipers are from a saxo but i dont think thatll be the issue because when i pull the stalk up which wipes only once it will work and as soon as my hand is off the stalk it will stop.

Might be contact problems in the stalk.

do you know if the basemodels use a relay for the wipers? Also which one would it be on tue fusebox.

thanks

stewal

Your car may not have the relay: it sounds like you have flick wipe instead of the intermittent wipe supplied by the relay.

If it is fitted, on later cars as far as my memory goes the relay is number 3 on the fuse board (from the left and probably blue) on early cars the relay was somewhere near the steering wheel if I remember correctly. 

K20205

have a look at the video and youll understand what i mean, it just stops anywhere when its on the off position 

https://streamable.com/t2vqk0

53DAC12F-435C-4C05-A7C8-962B390748AE.jpeg

01E02085-8171-4D70-891D-CF1676E35521.jpeg

Edited by K20205

petert

The wiper motor needs power on wire 62, pin 5, to park. Here's something a cobbled up for my race car, with a two position, centre off switch. Also, wire 61 (pin 3) needs to have constant +12V.

wiper motor connections.jpg

Edited by petert