• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Eugene wilson

reverse light not working,never has

Eugene wilson

hello all need help,my reverse light doesnt engage with the gearstick,the gearstick is very slack and engages when nearly touching the drivers seat,peugeot engineer says there is a sensor that may not work,any sugestions please,nearly ready for mot,thanks eugene.

DamirGTI

This :

D

Gohn

mine was bung a few months ago also

as shown by Damir, its something like an M27 deep socket I think

its pretty straightforward unplug loom, unscrew sensor and screw in new sensor to plug back into loom

but get all the grit and gunk out of the little depression it sits in before unscrewing it out

otherwise, all that built up rubbish will fall into the gearbox

from memory I think I used a little sealant when putting in the new one too

Eugene wilson

thanks that helped,think my sensor is the long one with the black connector  my car being a 1990 1.9 non cat with an xu9 ja engine and be3 gearbox

Eugene wilson

ive discovered my sensor is the 22mm nut size with the black connector and short end,does anybody know if the light grey pins casing type of a simliar size fits,thanks eug.

SweetBadger

The reverse light not working is not an MOT fail on a car the age of a 205. Only a fail on cars from Sep 2009 onwards.

Before you replace the switch in the box have you checked continuity across it when you put the car in reverse?

Also to check the wiring / bulb just pull the plug off and short across the two pins in the plug with some wire - the reverse light should then come on. If it doesn’t then your problem lies in the wiring or its a blown bulb.

Eugene wilson

thanks alex didnt know that about the mot regulations,

Eugene wilson

thanks for the pictures and information lads,it looks like the sensor is not at fault, i put a wire across the socket and checked theres no lights on so it must be the wiring or the socket.doesanybody know an area along the reverse wirng thats prone to damage at all,id have to cut into the wiring before the socket  to arc across there to see it the sockets faulty ??

Gohn

Before doing anything drastic like cutting wires ..

just do the basics first, check your reverse light bulb and the light fitting itself as Alex suggested

then check the rear earth cluster in behind the left rear tail light, make sure its all clean and good connection

the reverse light wiring does run along the rear bumper and could have rubbed thru at some point

you could probably trace it back from the light for a visual inspection

Eugene wilson

Thanks gohn,I'll clean the earth cluster,check the bulbs tonight see if that works 

Eugene wilson

ok last night ive checked the bulbs changed the rear body earth block,the bulb housing is lighting all the bulbs when the alarm went off but when the reverse wire is connected and reverse engaged theres no light going on i put a paper clip across to each female connectors . if i insert my screw driver electrical tester in the female contacts if it doesnt light up on either one the live feed to thats  been stopped or the connectors is faulty.one was covered in the blue/green corrosion,i cleaned and scraped down it .i dont know where the 2 wires run all i know is that it comes out of the rear left quarter,then runs to the right through the body,might go past the fuse box through the left body between the wing,then along a channel in the body ?,

Eugene wilson

i dont trust my old tester screwdriver so havent tested the switch connector yet,does anybody know what the cut white wire was for going to the ignition module was for by the way,thanks

Gohn

this is peugeot

a small problem always winds up being Eug

just to be clear

your reverse light has one bulb not "bulbs"

the Reverse Light fitting is the LEFT rear fitting, usually with a clear/white centre, the RIGHT rear fitting that looks the same is the Fog light

(he Fog light is just all red without the clear/white centre)

Its a bit difficult deciphering your checks/report back

more like a diy stream of consciousness, but assuming you've ok'd the bulb, fitting and earth

if you have any corrosion on the wires, you may need to cut it out and splice in a new section

but again, assuming that's ok..

your engine needs to be RUNNING when you check your reverse light

so get a buddy, start your car, put your clutch in and stick it in reverse

this is a mistake I made ages ago myself

try that eug

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 9.30.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 9.31.34 AM.png

Eugene wilson

my younger brothers called andrew,andrew thanks for the reply .i only mentioned the left side bulbs all lighting up in the diaognosis of trying to find out the live feed ,my honda xr 600 r needs indecators ill put that   on the back burner for now ill use my arm instead,lol

Eugene wilson

andy ,the car wasn,t running its in the garage ,i just turned the ignition on,eug.

Eugene wilson

andrew whats  dry stream of conciousness mean, is it being sober enough to try to convey a narrative concerning the electrical   deteriation of my wiring  on the peugeot 205 that several persons ave had a go at it with no now how what the fk their doing,cheers eug  

Eugene wilson

thanks andrew,eug

Gohn

good news !

no more reversin in the dark

Eugene wilson

chance would be a fine thing

Gohn

??