• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Nbettley

Mi16 Alternator threaded Insert

Nbettley

Hi guys,

Does anybody have or know where the threaded insert that sits in the alternator can sourced? It pushes in one of the webbings on the alternator casing, the alternator bolt then threads into it, image below -

182463253_10159128893714719_510268036353896086_n.jpg

DamirGTI

If i remember , just the ordinary nut will do .. as the housing is hex shaped in the bottom part to accommodate hex nut . OE insert is round with the kinda "hat" on top and hex shaped on the bottom .

Failing that , local machinist will be able to turn that part for a few quids , also ask around - scrapyards , auto electricians etc. ... many alternators have the same insert from Peugeot , Citroen , Renault petrol and diesel cars from the 80's/90's .. probably some other brands/makes too .

D

Nbettley

Cheers, Damir, I thought the same but it doesn't have the same insert as the 8 valve Alternator. I have a range of nuts and they dont appear to fit. 

I work on a CNC mill everyday so i could make myself one if i knew the dimensions, I believe they have to locate in the alternator body quite accurately so that the belt runs true on the pulley.

Cheers

Nick 

DamirGTI

Think it should be the same , no matter if it's 16v or 8v .

The hex bit in the bottom of the alt. housing is of a bit odd shape/size .. but using ordinary nut and filing it to the needed hex size will work , with some washers on the outer side to center the alternator within the bracket/mount .

I seem to remember doing that myself but years ago when i also lost that insert , and it worked so nut filed to size to pop in the housing and couple of washers on top .

I have a few alternators here so can take a look and make some measurements of that insert later .. if you have access to a CNC mill that'll be best and easiest so you can make one .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

DamirGTI

Not a passport photo , but it is what it is :

2900161505423f3b7e6ddb77d0b6e7d787263ac1

First two are old style alternators , Bosch and P. Rhone (1.6/1.9 XU) , last one later style Valeo (2.0 Mi16 / 2.0 T)

Nuts are all the same , just the last one "?" i did some grinding/filing for the reasons cannot remember anymore .

D

Nbettley

Thanks for this Damir, sorry for the delay I didn't get a notification to say you had responded. I will take a look at this tonight.

• Thanks 1