• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

AndyG

Changed Fuel lines now not Starting!

AndyG

Help please!

my sons 1.6 gti (H plate 1990) is not starting now!!!! after changing the fuel lines and fuel filter!!!!

The car was running fine but the fuel lines were leaking so we bought new fuel lines metal and rubber lines and replaced them all and fitted new fuel filter at the same time, connected them all up and now the car is not starting!!!!!

We have removed the fuel line to the rail and crank the engine and fuel is being pumped out so there is fuel getting to the rail!

we have checked the fuel pump and is runs with a direct 12v feed, no volts getting to the pump on the first or second position of the ignition key. should the pump prime on the second position on the key?? 

we have also tried a new relay and no difference still not stating!

Does anyone have any advice or know whats going on? I feel I'm missing something obvious!!

Tom Fenton

Which end of the fuel rail did you remove the pipe from to check? The fuel feed in to the rail needs to be at the gearbox end. If you have the connections mixed up, the fuel will get to the pressure regulator then stop there and go no further.

AndyG
4 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Which end of the fuel rail did you remove the pipe from to check? The fuel feed in to the rail needs to be at the gearbox end. If you have the connections mixed up, the fuel will get to the pressure regulator then stop there and go no further.

Hi yes gearbox end with the metal joint, when turning over the engine the fuel was shooting out!

PhilNW
20 hours ago, AndyG said:

We have removed the fuel line to the rail and crank the engine and fuel is being pumped out so there is fuel getting to the rail!

we have checked the fuel pump and is runs with a direct 12v feed, no volts getting to the pump on the first or second position of the ignition key. should the pump prime on the second position on the key?? 

Just to clarify

Fuel is pumped out under normal cranking so fuse should be good? Confirm all fuses good?

Have you got a spark?

Are the injectors firing?

Does anything else not work in positions 1 and 2? 

AndyG

All fuses look good and everything else is working on position 1 and 2 

I will need to check for a spark, however after pumping the gas and turning it over it fired up for about a second or two then it died again!?

cheers 

Andy

PhilNW

If you got a second or 2 of running that suggests you have a spark at times, Did you disconnect anything during the repair and have you reconnected everything? 

AndyG

no electrical connections were taken off, but something did happen before we changed the fuel lines the starter stuck on and wouldnt disengage so we pulled the negative off the battery but was engaged for about 10 seconds this wouldnt have cooked any wiring would it? 

I had to knock on the starter with a hammer to disengage it! 

cheers 

Andy

PhilNW

So the engine was running at tickover? with the starter fully engaged?

If it was how did you stop the engine?

Edit - how you checked for any damaged cables above the starter?

New starter or have you re-used original starter?

Edited by PhilNW

AndyG

Hi

No engine wasn't running but the solenoid on the started engaged for a few seconds and wouldn't disengage! (just a whiring sound) just disconnected the battery.

I got it free with just a knock from a hammer. don't think this this is related to the car not starting but just thought it might have cooked a wire!

I believe there is a wire that connects from the starter to the fuel pump relay?  will need to check at the weekend.

The starter is working fine now BTW and cranks over the engine as it should. everything sound good it just doesn't want to start and idle. 

I will check over the wiring when I get more time at the weekend and check back with you guys.

Thanks 

Andy

PhilNW

Glad the starter side seems OK - Suggest having a look at this article by Damir 

• Thanks 1