• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Apitiser

installing liners and other rebuild questions

Apitiser

Hi. I'm about to rebuild an engine for the first time and have a few questions. 

I have washed and degreased the block and getting ready to install new liners. Is this surface clean enough to install them or do I need to do more? 

What order do people like to install everything? I have seen some people measuring the liner protrusion then removing, fitting pistons from bottom of liner and setting a side then measure and fit crank then add the liners with pistons back (I'm leaning towards this) vs what's in the haynes manual.

Do people add sealant with any of the seals? if so what sealant do you use?

My mains bearing all had the plain shells on the caps and the grooved on the block side. Should I stay with that or go with what the haynes manual recommends?

When fitting the head and even the crank I have read different torque setting. I have the haynes manual and it's different from the puma racing. 

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with the conflicting info so some clarification would be appreciated. Sorry if what I'm asking is silly as I don't know any better. I'm sure I'll look back at this and laugh at how much I was worried about all of this.

Thanks

IMG_8249.jpeg

Telf

U don't need sealant.

Measure the protrusion without seals fitted.

Follow the Haynes for torque figures.  I did my engine is fine.

Fit the pistons into liner. Then place into block.

Mark the liners so you know which goes where and what orientation.  Eg once gapped and happy Mark them 1,2,3,4 with a Mark indicating forward to the front of the block.

Once the liners and pistons are in clamp them down with a steel bar diagonally across them flip and build the crank.

Replace the  shells as per what you had. I fitted torqued it all down then used putty to check they were OK. 

If only my engine build thread hadn't disappeared...its all on there. Tom Fenton has a decent thread somewhere to

Telf

If the block has been vapour cleaned it should be clean enough. 

Keep it spotless during thr build 

Telf

Make sure the crank has been checked at a machine shop. They will be able to tell you if its in spec/ what shells you need 

Telf

The only seal that needs sealant is the sump. Otherwise it will probably leak.

Hockey sticks .. I fitted the end plate with a smear of sealant and then allowed them time to settle then smeared a bead of sealant on the outer face . The hockey sticks need to be 2mm proud of the top.

The crank seal should just press in . No sealant required.

Remember when you fit the head to add the corner spacer.

Apitiser

Thanks for that info. I have read your 8v build a few times and was going to use it as a guild but it’s missing from the site :(

Apitiser

What kinda sealant do you prefer to use telf?

Telf

Can't remember what I used tbh. Google oil resistant sealant. 

SweetBadger

Wurth Super Rtv is really good stuff -> get the one that comes in a pressurised container. It makes it easier to apply uniformly and it also lasts well as it doesn't go off in the tube once you open it.