• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spencer

Gear Linkage Temporary Fix

Spencer

Hello all,

I'm a newbie here, having just acquired my phase 1 1.6 GTI a couple of weeks ago. I knew that the common problem with the worn gear linkage popping off of the ball joint was going to be an issue, and sure enough, on the first drive I had to pop it back into place after a minor bump in the road. I've already ordered a replacement kit, but as I ordered it from the UK, it could take a while to get here to New Mexico. In the meantime, is there a temporary quick fix I can employ to keep it "on the ball" so to speak? :)

Thanks,

Spencer

Edited by Spencer

DamirGTI

Yes , put the loose/popping link rod in a vice (or bash it with a hammer , or use bigger plumbers pliers) and tighten/twist up the link ends in a form of a fish eye instead round .. and test if it holds onto the ball , if still a bit loose/popping tighten/twist some more .

D

Ozymandis

Or wind a few turns of lock-wire, baler wire, garden tie wire or W H Y around the offending joint in situ, and it will hold it together .

Edited by Ozymandis

Spencer
15 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

Yes , put the loose/popping link rod in a vice (or bash it with a hammer , or use bigger plumbers pliers) and tighten/twist up the link ends in a form of a fish eye instead round .. and test if it holds onto the ball , if still a bit loose/popping tighten/twist some more .

D

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a squeeze :)

Spencer
10 hours ago, Ozymandis said:

Or wind a few turns of lock-wire, baler wire, garden tie wire or W H Y around the offending joint in situ, and it will hold it together .

I was thinking that might do it, I'll see what wire I can find that might work. Thanks for the suggestion!

DanteICE

Take a cable tie, link up the end, twist it into a figure 8, place one loop over the rod and the other over the ball joint, with the crossing point under the rod, place rod back on ball joint and tighten the cable tie. The cable tie should pull down on the rod using the ball joint as the anchor.

Tom Fenton

Easiest way is take a piece of rubber glove or thick plastic sheet. Put it over the ball then pop the joint on. Often it is enough to take the wear out.

Reebmit

Cable tie method worked well for me a while back...