• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shonkers

Teething troubles after lay up

Tom Fenton

Locking this topic as for some reason the spam bots keep posting on it.

Message added by Tom Fenton

shonkers

Hi all, i hav’nt been on the forum for a while but do look in from time to time, a few years ago i decided to give the little red rockin robin a respray a mate offered to do it on the cheap with me helping strip down, do bits of welding etc, it was a bit of a botch job he had problems and had to get out of his unit.                                 I managed to get it all back together and it’s been laid up at nephews garage on axle stands since, iv’e done bits an bobs when i could he’s on shifts so bit tricky to get access. I’m moving house so am forced to get motivated which ain’t a bad thing, calipers were sticking so sorted them had master cyl blasted and tested then i sprayed it, new rear brake cyl’s, new hel lines on fronts could’nt get rears hoses off job for another day.                          Tyres kept going down so resealed all of them and started driving it around the last couple of days 10-20 miles here an there,  all seems ok except for slighty high idle 1100 rpm when warm and smells rich and mpg ain’t very good, i’m sure the rear beam is going to need doing it’s rock hard.                                                                 Took it for mot yesterday the idle had crept up to 1500rpm so they let me tweak it to get it down but no avail, tried weakening the mixture with the allen key by turning anti-clock but it was getting richer, it was 3.14 per cent to start with and ended up at over 4.0 per cent when she over heated an spat coolant out of the over flow doh. The fan did’nt come on and i still hav’nt got a temp gauge wired up it’s been on the to do list i’m not brill at electrics and it was ok whilst on the move.      Anyway it passed the mot topped up coolant and got back and parked up, been looking through fan not working topics and will endeavour to test it and get it working and sort the high idle, all before i move to wales in 4 weeks.             I’m wondering if Welshpug would be able to do some fettling jobs for me? assuming i get down there in one piece hehe cheers for reading sorry ‘twas bit of an essay

shonkers

Hi guys, right i bridged the rad fan switch plug and the fan works fine slow and fast, then i permanently bridged the resistor so it’s high speed only as suggested on one of the threads, got new switch coming will report back  later. Meanwhile will try an get the idle an mixture settings back where they were an then see if there’s an air leak developed to cause the fast idle.7048D20F-D810-43A1-8F99-4C7143B14ED4.thumb.jpeg.a409f713adfe0eefd5e6967020981327.jpeg

• Like 1

Gohn
On 3/26/2021 at 9:25 PM, shonkers said:

i’m not brill at electrics

lectrics cause much frustration

you've done well so far though

shonkers

Cheers gohn, well the fan switch cured the problem the fan is coming on an off as it should now, now to try an set up the idle. The rear beam seems to have unsiezed itself now iv’e started using it again, but it’ll need doingi expect. The discs are juddering under braking so they need changing, i like the look of the cross drilled and grooved ones anyone got any recommendations? Ps i’d forgotten how much fun they are to drive

6B063CE7-190F-4F2B-8815-726292D79288.jpeg