• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lagonda

Spare wheel; which way up?!

lagonda

Have had my wheels restored, repainted, and new Michelin PS3s fitted. Want to keep them looking good, including the spare.

Can anyone say which is the best orientation in the spare wheel cage, to preserve the paintwork on the outside face of the wheel? I realise having it facing downwards will make checking tyre pressure easier, but I'm more interested in keeping the wheel outer face in good condition.

Laurence

Tom Fenton

Heavily wax the spare wheel before you put it underneath the car. I usually put them face toward the boot floor but regardless they get mucky.

acox99

Could always get a wheel bag to store it so it doesn’t get all the road dirt sprayed at it. 

Ozymandis

My experience is don't put them in a bag or wrap them in anything, water will get in there and they sit damp and corroding even on a nice dry day.

lagonda

Many thanks for replies .... yes, that would be my concern with a bag.

welshpug

I'd attach a sheet of abs plastic to the carrier with some P clips, effectively making a flat floor and a protector without holding water in there.

my 205 has always had the wheel fave down, still has its original wheel there.