• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Phil205

Car won't start / No spark

Phil205

The car has been sat for a while, as it is in need of lots of body work.

It started ok before Winter, but won't fire up now.

I cleaned the distributor cap and rotor.

I removed a spark plug, but there seems to be no spark, when connected back to the lead and sat above the engine. I presume I should see a spark when I try to 'start' the engine.

I took off the coil and compared to a spare (that may or may not be good).

I got the following resistance readings from the coils :-

Original coil

+ve to -ve = 1.1 ohms

+ve to centre = 8.0 k ohms

Newer coil

+ve to -ve = 1.1 ohms

+ve to centre = 6.8 k ohms

What readings should I be getting ?

I am happy to get in a mobile mechanic, if necessary, but just wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get it to start ?

Can anyone suggest any tests that I could carry out to try to to work out what the issue is ?

Ruben

I had that issue before! Check the tachometric relay, it is located nearby the ECU , when you turn the key on, you shoud hear it clicking followed by the gas pump working. After that you must check connections and look for any dirt on them , give a spray of contact cleaner.

Phil205

Thanks Ruben. I had the tachometric relay replaced and the related wiring checked a few years back. I will take a look.

"It’s prime function is providing voltage supply to all the fueling system and components , mainly - injectors , air flow meter , throttle position sensor , supplementary air device and fuel pump . It also serves as an safety measure component for the fueling system ."

When I turned on the ignition, a bit of fuel spat out, so I suspect the fuel pump and injectors may be working ok ?

I think I need to work out why I am getting no spark.

Phil205

With the Tachymetric relay pulled off - I connected 12v to pin 87 with a jumper wire. The fuel pump runs ok.

With the Tachymetric relay back in place - when I try to start the car, the fuel pump doesn't run. Is the fuel pump supposed to run as soon as the ignition lights come on with key turned to position 1 or 2 ?

With the key turned to position 1 or 2, the ignition lights come on. I have 12v power to the coil.

When I try to start the car, the starter motor runs fine, but the rev counter doesn't flicker.

I pulled the HT lead from the centre of the distributor cap and clamped on a metal crocodile clip. With the other end connected the coil, a friend turned turned the key to get the starter motor to run.

The starter motor runs ok, but no spark is seen when I dab the crocodile clip close to the cylinder head or -ve contact of the battery. Should I see a spark ?

Any suggestions would be great.

There is a two wire lead coming from the distributor. That looks a bit ropey. How can I test that ? Where does it connect to ?

Ruben

In my case i also had a new relay , and it turned out that it was not working correctly , so i took the plastic case of and pressed it with my finger and voila the car started! The relay made a strange whining noise without being pressed , i replaced the relay for a used one from a mate of mine and it runned fine! It should make a sound of the pump pumping gasoline to the injector rail as soon as you turn the key on, that happens to pressurize the fuel system in order to make the injectors spray! But here is a list of some things you might check:

•  Distributor Cable that goes to the ignition amplifier;
  •  Distributor Cap , check for any humidities;
  • Check all eletricall connections in the engine bay and clean them with contact cleaner;
  • Check also the eletricall grounds to see if there is any corrosion and clean them or with sand paper give it a rub (There is one in the gearbox), lack of ground will stop corrent flow;
  • Check if actually there is any fuel reaching the injectors; i did by the method of taking the injectors rail of and see if they spray putting a piece of paper in front of them;
  • Or u can unscrew a nut that its attached to the fuel rail and it should leak gasoline with some pressure;
  • If you have any spare coil to test it would be helpfull as well;

Hope its helpfull! 

Best Regards!

Ruben Figueira

Phil205

How do I check the Distributor Cable that goes to the ignition amplifier ?

I am wondering if that might have something to do with not getting spark ?

Ruben
On 3/18/2021 at 2:54 PM, Phil205 said:

Take it off and check the connections for any wear or dirt , that cable remains in a zone that is propitious to heat from the engine wich can cause wear to cable itself.

Well , thats the cable that brings the signal from the distributor to the ignition amplifier , i forgot to tell you to also check the ignition amplifier.

Ruben
On 3/18/2021 at 2:54 PM, Phil205 said:

Check continuity on that cable with a multimeter

Phil205

Thanks Ruben,

I unplugged and re-plugged in the tachy relay a few times. No luck.

I unplugged the tachy relay and connected 12v to the fuel pump and the pump ran fine.

I re-plugged in the tachy relay a few times. No luck.

I unplugged the tachy relay and connected 12v to fuel pump and injectors. The car wouldn't even turn over.

I then plugged the tachy relay back in and the car fired almost straight away.

I am not sure what I did, but the car starts every time now.

Must be a dodgy connection somewhere or perhaps the tachy relay was 'sticking' ?

Ruben
On 3/20/2021 at 11:17 PM, Phil205 said:

Thanks Ruben,

I unplugged and re-plugged in the tachy relay a few times. No luck.

I unplugged the tachy relay and connected 12v to the fuel pump and the pump ran fine.

I re-plugged in the tachy relay a few times. No luck.

I unplugged the tachy relay and connected 12v to fuel pump and injectors. The car wouldn't even turn over.

I then plugged the tachy relay back in and the car fired almost straight away.

I am not sure what I did, but the car starts every time now.

Must be a dodgy connection somewhere or perhaps the tachy relay was 'sticking' ?

Well , its your lucky day mate!! It could be the relay itself but anyway have a look on the connections , if possible open the relay and check the contacts. Also check the connection of the cable that comes from the battery to feed the relay , in my car it was a brown wire. 

Ruben

That wire is connected in a little black box nearby the battery