• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gohn

Rear Shock Absorbers Koni v Original

Gohn

just an update

I inherited a set of Koni shocks on my 205, marked with :

KONI

made in holland

30  1314SPORT

as soon as I took the car for a proper drive I realised they don't give anything like the nice ride of the standard peugeot dampers

took em out and adjusted them to try and achieve the smoother ride

they have 3 settings, and are easy to adjust once off the car

prize/lift up black dust cover on main body of shock

hold in little button with left hand on damper, twist plunger/top with your 'other' left hand

counterclockwise for softer, clockwise for harder

it has 3 stops

first setting 20% softest

second setting 50%

third setting 100% hardest

I found the softest setting was still too hard, giving a bouncy/jerky ride, you feel every bump

and the hardest setting was ridiculous and should have a Warning: can cause kidney damage

I've since removed them altogether and put them on the shelf

and put on a set of original peugeot ones (Made in Yugoslavia, hi Damir !!) which are totally fantastic

they are from an Si which is the 1.6l petrol single point injection.

according to the part catalog there about 6 versions including the UpRated ones (what's that mean ?)

anyway, the markings on my OE ones are:

ap

MADE IN YUGOSLAVIA

TAO - 26 - 205

N38A2

the Koni's are bright yellow and cost a lot of money

the originals are black and dusty, thirty years old this year - and ten times better

its possible the koni's are good for track, but I dont do any of that so dont know

koni1.JPG

koni2.JPG

Sishocks.JPG

Sishocks2.JPG

DamirGTI
26 minutes ago, Gohn said:

(Made in Yugoslavia, hi Damir !!)

And people still say communism was crap ! was no ideal , but by far was so much better for regular working class people than this neo-capitalism .. see we made something back then ! ... nowadays we're making just massive unemployment .

Anyhow , those are actually aftermarket shocks not the OE .

Peugeot was particularly obsessive compulsive with the shocks , so they setup making them by themselves in the factory , hence the reason they're the best you can get if you can find some "old stock" .

Never had Koni's myself , but driven a few mates cars with them and always found them a bit stiff/harsh performing ... personally didn't liked them either , for the race/track maybe , but no not for the road (bad-ish road , with potholes especially) . 

In the absence of the OE Peugeot ones , myself i found next best to be - Sachs/Boge .. closest to the OE item shocks , liking them very much excellent damping and build quality . 

"UpRated" item shocks are i think for the commercial variant's of the 205's i.e. delivery vans .

D

DamirGTI

Interestingly , with a bit of investigating , those are actually OE shocks !

Seems like Peugeot made them over here back in the days , 1.3 millions of shocks yearly , some Peugeot cars where assembled here too like 305/504/505's in that same factory ... i do remember we used to make quite a lot of parts for French cars and the complete cars (Renault's and Citroen's mainly) .

D

Gohn

yeah O riginal  Damir !

CAPITALISM IS FLAT OUT THEFT

best just leave it go at that

anyway, the old originals look so basic, like that too

if the car I bought didn't already have aftermarket shocks on I never would have been able to test them against the OE ones

4 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

Peugeot was particularly obsessive compulsive with the shocks

I previously wouldn't have thought they were obsessive about anything - except maybe their image

been driving on the little OE shocks for years and always loved the feel

but now that I've had the chance to properly compare against some silly aftermarket ones I realise just how good the originals are

superb