• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Canadian dave

Billet intake manifold

Canadian dave

Bit of a long story, but bear with me as it may interest some people.

I have had a bogg brothers intake manifold for R1 carbs on my mi16 for the last 12 years or so. Work fantastic and 100% reliable for 22,000miles. Just two issues, the float bowl of number one sits on the engine mount and worst of all under any kind of heavy braking they flood the engine. After much research and 12 years if head scratching I think it's because the float bowls are sitting at a 45 degree down slope instead of being dead level in an R1. I went to a friend if mine who had a 5axis CNC mill in his shed to see if he could cut and reweld the manifold to be shorter with his tig welder. He calls me a few days later with this CAD design for a billet intake manifold.Resized_20210227_095552.thumb.jpg.cb8499b532973ffd0e73968adcb9eefc.jpg

He is now going to 3d scsn my head to ensure perfect port matching. Hopefully have a proto type for testing on the car in April. If anyone is interested I will keep up dating this post. 

It will be easy to reproduce more manifolds later if they turn out as awesome as I think they will.

Spesh

would it not be benificial to smooth the corners (especially in 1 and 4) into curves if your going to the expense of machining it?