• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mannings

Cold Start Issue 1.9gti 8v

PhilNW

Have you a photo to show what arrangement you have?

mannings

Screenshot_20210402-084118_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2e16442c1cea89b1acbe8bc788dfe0ff.jpg

mannings

You can see that the K&N induction kit has the two pipes out of the connector between the afm and tb, so matching the original set up. The ram air I have has just a step up silicone pipe with no pipes out of it. Surely that cant be right? 

Screenshot_20210402-090135_Samsung Internet.jpg

PhilNW

Good picture but difficult to know what pipe goes where

I know you have said you have pinched the SAD pipe and not a lot happened

Quick and dirty test - bypass the SAD completely and see what happens.

EDIT

Then check all the oil vapour pipes are connected correctly

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/1/11C51A.HTM

Edited by PhilNW

mannings

Do you mean block off the sad so that only air getting into the inlet manifold is from the afm to Tb route? 

PhilNW

Yes

mannings

Pipe 7 connects directly to the air filter bypassing the afm. On my set up pic it's one with the shiny black finish and blue connect in side of air filter cone base 

Will try to bypass later today but if the issue is a major air leak into the system I am unsure how that will help but will try 

PhilNW
18 minutes ago, mannings said:

You can see that the K&N induction kit has the two pipes out of the connector between the afm and tb, so matching the original set up. The ram air I have has just a step up silicone pipe with no pipes out of it. Surely that cant be right? 

Screenshot_20210402-090135_Samsung Internet.jpg

With this arrangement 1 of the side pipes should be connected to pipe no 7 and the other side pipe to one side of the SAD as per pipe no 2 on http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/0/03G50A.HTM to mimic the original 90 degree intake pipe

mannings

Vapour pipes look correct but will double check. My throttle body is different to the drawings and has the pipe from the oil cap going in at the top not bottom. But seen that on other cars so assume the had a few versions on the tb

mannings
24 minutes ago, PhilNW said:

Is there the equivalent diagram on http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/ you can point us to? 

Had a good look and cant find the same. But they do exist, see below with the hose coming out the top not the bottom of the tb

Screenshot_20210402-100238_Gallery.jpg

mannings
37 minutes ago, PhilNW said:

With this arrangement 1 of the side pipes should be connected to pipe no 7 and the other side pipe to one side of the SAD as per pipe no 2 on http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/0/03G50A.HTM to mimic the original 90 degree intake pipe

Indeed but the ram air kit bypasses the afm and I think that might be part of the imbalance I have between the air and fuel ending up in the combustion  chamber......or at least another theory haha 

PhilNW

Can but try - there are only so many places there may be an air leak if that is the problem..

There may be a problem the replacement AFM, might be worth putting the original AFM back on just to see what changes. 

mannings

Got all new hoses to go on so going to put then on and see what happens from there. Will see if I can find a kn style connector to replace the ram air one as well as just seems wrong to me. Thanks for your help phil and others. Will get there soon I hope 

welshpug

yep you've just found your issues there, basically a big air leak!                I may have a spare K&N hose.

mannings
9 minutes ago, welshpug said:

yep you've just found your issues there, basically a big air leak!                I may have a spare K&N hose.

Haha. That's crazy. Why would ram air sell something with such a basic error. If you have a kn one that would be amazing. Let me know what you want for it and I can paypal you the monies ;)

PhilNW

Thinking about it - so what happens the SAD closes, does not all the air go through the AFM with the Ram Air system?

Thought you still had problems when warmed up?

mannings

Yes Phil that is true thinking about it. When warm it was running high rpm. Maybe a leak as well. Will put on new hoses and correct afm set up and report back.. 

PhilNW

Might be worth a check before you go much further 

There should be suction on the SAD pipe at the filter when cold and none when hot

mannings

So today tested the sad and when cold it pulled from that pipe and did affect the idle speed. Also managed to find a split vacuum pipe (tb to disty) so replaced that and found a not so tight jubilee on the back of the sad. With tweaking all this bought idle down to about 1850 when warm. Will test from cold tomorrow. Going to attempt to re-route the sad and oil breather tomorrow into a post afm pipe and see if that helps more. Also taking off each pipe and checking thoroughly for slits and cracks afters todays findings. Getting close!! 

PhilNW

Keep at it - you will get there !!

PhilNW

Check the oil vapour pipe hole in the TB is clear and creating a suction as well, found mine was blocked ( its a very small hole) i had to use a very very small drill bit to clear 

Did you get suction on the tb to dizzy pipe?

Edited by PhilNW