• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Arthur

Drive shaft options for base hubs

Arthur

Hi All

Probably the 1000th topic about drive shafts, but I could not find a good answer for me. I have a 160 bhp tu screamer in my 205 with be4r box, 1.6gti/diesel/automatic driveshafts and base model hubs. I've not had driveshaft issues jet, but I'm thinking to add neg camber and perhaps a bit of castor. 

Are there any good  driveshaft options when I keep my 72mm,21 spline hubs OR is 82mm, 25 splined hubs the only route? 

welshpug

probably best to get some later berlingo/partner hubs modified to whatever camber angle you need and running 1.9 shafts.

Arthur

Oké. I was actually thinking to modify the subframe for a wider track.  Always wondered why I never see that option. 

welshpug

people use 309 arms for an extra 10mm and to gain camber.   futher than that you are into tubular wishbones like Satchell engineering do.

Arthur

Yes, I know. I’m just seeing what the options are for when I do get issues. It’s not a racer and wot on full lock never happens. Might be fine.  But I always wondered why no one ever thinks about the subframe. To me it seems like another legit option. When you make new swingarm brackets on the subframe, one could increase camber, castor and increase swingarm angle back to positive on lowered cars in one go. One could strengen the subframe and one might  even change quite a lot so 306 shafts are a strait fit. Probably overkill for a steer car, but for a racer....

I’m just thinking out load here. Does’t seem more work than sleeving hubs. Apart from it not being off the shelve parts, what more arguments against it?