• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Scott isaacs

Valeo head lights

Scott isaacs

Hi everyone I’m wondering if anyone can help?

Ive just received my new head lights I brought on eBay but they are a different shape on the back of the light.

The one on the right is my new one and I’m now wondering if it’s for a lhd car?

any advice would be very much appreciated.

D0A9E4C3-84B6-4232-A72D-DA89089D7041.jpeg

welshpug

its just the a newer design of lamp housing, don't recall exactly when they were introduced but I'm sure my 89 car came with those.

Scott isaacs

I’m looking at cars for sale online and looks like some others do have them.

think I maybe panicked as I’d brought them from someone in France and the different angle on the Back worried me.

cheers

Ozymandis
2 hours ago, welshpug said:

its just the a newer design of lamp housing, don't recall exactly when they were introduced but I'm sure my 89 car came with those.

Its the other way round. He has been supplied with the older type.

Gohn

the shape of the back of the light is not an indication of RHD or LHD, both shapes fit fine

LHD and RHD are pretty much the same to look at

but are only indicated by one of the numbers on the front of the glass

and I still don't know which number that is ...

they look like new old stock, I'm looking for a set just like that, any links you can send ?

Thijs_Rallye

Can you post a picture in front of the lenses? the picture was a decent resolution, I didn't click on it at first :rolleyes:

From what I can see you have the wrong type, the "kink*" in the projection looks the other way around. (* I don't know the exact wording in English, it's not my native language :) ) See the attached picture. The light normally curves upward at the passenger side and this is the other way around in the UK vs mainland.

lights.jpg

Edited by Thijs_Rallye

Scott isaacs

A guy on eBay has another pair for sale think he is from France.

NOS a bit pricey at 420.00

thanks for your help guys.

bacardincoke

Unfortunately I think Thijs is right - the cut of the line on my SEV Marchal RHD lamp differs from the one in your image (on the right).

The red line runs through and finishes below the 'Cats Eyes' motif not above.

SEV2.jpg

SEV1.jpg

bacardincoke

If they're not what you were after give Richard a shout, he was recently looking a set of OE LHD lamps.

LimouxGTI

Arthur

Hmmm.  I have two in my shed from this side of the pond, and they both are like the right one pictured. kinda

141011982_3688985634513869_7250590593192

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 1

bacardincoke

I've nothing to make any comparisons with as I've only the lights that are already on my car, plus another completely identical set (same age / make / type etc.) that are spares.

It's very possible then that older / younger versions or different brands will show something completely different... don't shoot the messenger!

All four of my light lenses are covered in various molded in details, alot of it is duplicated.

I've just read a very old post on a VW site that might help clarify things, maybe doing away with the need to interpret the cut of the glass and use that written info. instead.

It's possible this is the relevant part -

There'll be the letters 'HCR' somewhere which apparently shows the lens was designed solely for halogen high/low beam bulb(s).

In the same cluster and near it will be an 'E' marking in a circle - E2 in my case. The number only denotes the EU country which gave yhe lamp type approval.

Near that again will be an arrow pointing either to the left or right.

If your vehicle is a RHD model and you are sitting in the drivers seat behind the lights that arrow will point to your left (the near-side on UK roads)

If you are in the drivers seat of a LHD car the arrow will point to your right (the nearside on non-UK roads).

Be genuinely interested to know if I've understood this correctly, for future reference.

HCR.jpg