• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonnie205

No Keys

Guest jonnie205

recently bought a 205 with no keys. I know the door lock are simple to replace but how do you remove the ignition barrel from the column with no key, also the steering lock is broken so would it be easier to whack in a new column?

Leet205

jonnie, why dont you try a key from another one of your pugs, im not saying it will work but the chances are good becuase of the age of the key and wear on it oO

Guest Sergy

If you have the vehicle reg documents, might it be possible to get a key from peugeot?

Guest jonnie205

yeah could be possible to get a key cut at pug but its £30 i think and i cant be sure that the locks on the car are the origional ones, might be worth the risk tho i suppose if its a big job to replace the ignition lock

DrSeuss

Just get a lock set from another 205 (you must have a few). Replacing the lock barrel isn't difficult just use a haynes manual.

pug_ham
Replacing the lock barrel isn't difficult just use a haynes manual.

Yeah it isn't hard but you need the key to get the barrel out of the steering column by retracting the locking pins that fit in to the barrel housing.

If you have no key but aren't bothered about keeping the barrel then try the oldschool car thief way of an old screwdriver hammered in or if you have use of a slide hammer strip the barrel out.

The steering lock is a part of the ignition barrel so if you are replacing the barrel you would do both in one go.

Graham.:angry:

Guest jeremy

Would it not be possible to drill the lock barrel out of the lock, then use a screwdiver to turn the ignition thus enabling you to retract the locking pin.

Guest Vanny

Its near impossible to drill these little buggers out! My uncle spent hours doing it on my grandads car, he's a fabricator and welder with just about every metal working tool available!

Im told that if you stick a screw driver in far enough to get at the FIRST tumbler, then you can turn the ignition barrel to the first position and drop the locking pin!

Alternatively (and a slightly quicker way) is to find a scrap car with the barrel and key and take the whole frame out that the barrel is mounted on. if i remember its four maybe six screws on a 205, the whole thing will comeout with indicator stalks, upper steering column (does a 205 have a split column like a BX though?) and ignition wiring. Then just swap them over on your car! Probably faster way to do it!

Batfink

if you want new I think Autofive do complete new lock and ignition barrel sets

C_W

Swapping the steering column is quite simple; just drop the lower plastic suround, undo 4 11/12mm nuts and the 13mm clamp then undo the 4 philips screws holding the indicator stalks on and it should come out.

Sign in to follow this