• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Idle control on cold start

Telf

Ok so connected the laptop today. It seems I have a option to directly control idle using a ICV. I think i will give it a go.

Added a couple of videos. One showing idle after about 2 mins of keeping it going by holding the throttle . The other after I've driven 400m round the block and parked back up .

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1610964099226_6756873165243575841.jpeg

Arthur

How much enrichment are you at?

I have been working on about the same issue, and have been reading a lot though the weekend. It's not un common one needs 400 to 500% of the pw at cracking when it's 0 deg C out there.  And after you pass the cranking threshold, you will need again a lot of afterstart enrichment. Cranking and afterstart does'd add up, it's either cranking OR afterstart depending on whether you are under or above the cracking threshold. This based on VEMS, but I think they all work similar. And afterstart amount of cycles can also be 100 at cold and 1/4 at hot. It tapers off over time mostly. 

Edited by Arthur

Telf

Max % increase on the emerald is 250%. That seems to make no difference. If I set the whole enrichment table to 200 odd for the first 100 turns the car still won't self sustain. If I open the throttle a little and hold it then its ok. So obviously it is receiving more fuel as the throttle is open but also more air as the throttle flap isn't closed. 

I think it has to be predominantly an air issue over fuel.  So the plan is to fit an ICV and enable it on the ECU. I can then increase the cold ignition fuel% over the first 100 or so turns and see , test and adjust as required. 

At the moment the it doesn't manage a single engine turn according to the ECU if you just turn the key.

As an aside its better in warm weather so not a major drama.

Arthur

Oké. Well crank OR afterstart is multied by warmup, so that’s how the pw can be 500%. Say like 2 x 2,5. 

I’ve not made it perfect myself. Was just about to tweak when I found out my injectors were too small and the car leaks, but this is what I was reading. Guess you also can choose between pwm idler or stepper. I have a stepper from 8v which is a complete bypass from the throttle body(ies). Think it’s a 1.6 xsi 106 one. 

Edited by Arthur

Telf

My setup is a standard 8v . Single throttle body input so originally used the SAD to supply initial air on cold start. It doesn't have one fitted now hence I think fitting a ICV should sort this issue