• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
28hodge

Road rally suspension advice

28hodge

Suspension help and advice please.

I have a ex stage 205 its currently set up for single venue tarmac rally, and as such is a bit low and way too stiff, I want to use it for night rallies and targa’s plus some HRCR historic regularity rallies. So, it’s not currently ideal for my needs.

The car has these GAZ coilovers on, I have sold these for £200 yesterday,

65A8B3FE-13C0-473D-83BA-37F212792FF5.jpeg.00343857900b8f2aa9d9d09b8a30ee00.jpeg

so I need a replacement. 

I can’t make my mind up about just getting these,

72407A41-55A5-4617-B680-4A85121D854A.jpeg.7d8f252b008e95fd4543a6bf9e001692.jpeg

with some 180lb 9” springs or getting the following setup- 

Compbrake strut legs and spring seats - £215.99

Bilstein gravel insert – 251.16

9”180lb Faulkner spring – 43.26

And running the above with the std top mount till I can get some eccentric topmounts.

The only thing that’s putting me off the grp n struts is I am being told that these do not have ability for the inserts to be swapped out, I always thought you could? Most of the grp n set ups suggest that they are for a 25mm drop and a shorter insert. I ideally want to run at std ride height as I intend to use the car for road rallies and targa. So, don’t really want to lower it.

The other setup would allow me to do what I want in terms of ride height and insert but it’s a bit more expensive, however I’m thinking it’s a fit once kind of thing, bar playing with spring rate and length, but springs are reasonably cheap.

Any advice would be great, happy to look at alternatives but searching and reading the old threads for road rally set ups its these 2 above that seem to pop up, well a GrpA setup with adjustable legs or the grp n but again the old grp n legs seemed to allow the inserts to be changed, whereas 2 separate sources have told me that the group n ones can’t be changed, I’ve spoken to KAmRacing (batfink) and another.

Edited by 28hodge

PhilNW

Have you got  copy of the Peugeot 205 build manual, lots of useful info

28hodge

Hi, yeah I do have the build manual for the grp n and also the challenge cars but although it is useful a lot of it is based around pts part numbers and info that is now no longer correct. 

I think the above issue has solved itself though. The lad that is buying the Gaz stuff from me has an entire grpn setup that he’ll do a swap with me for the Gaz stuff plus a little bit of cash. The inserts are removable in the legs he has so that’s ideal for me.

the inserts in them aren’t anything I’ve heard of and can’t find any reference to them anywhere, they are - 

0713v36 0548h1 number on front inserts?

anybody any ideas?

allanallen

V36 0548 is the current front right challenge/grpN insert, as I said earlier the inserts are replaceable regardless of what you’re being told elsewhere. 

• Like 1

28hodge

Perfect thanks I’ll get the Gaz shocks swapped for the bilsteins between Xmas and new year. Bit more welding between now and then, mot early jan then beam off to Andy Williams 

28hodge

Perfect thanks I’ll get the Gaz shocks swapped for the bilsteins between Xmas and new year. Bit more welding between now and then, mot early jan then beam off to Andy Williams