• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SimonJ

Posting a gearbox

SimonJ

The 205 has been sitting in the garage for 4 years due to usual blown engine / taking up cycling stuff but need to get moving on it again before everything seizes up too much.

I need to courier the gearbox from NI to GB for a rebuild and prices for sending on a pallet are high with £70 about the lowest I've found. Anyone know any cheaper couriers, or, maybe more likely, a way of cutting down the weight to 30kg at which point the cost plummets. How much does a diff weigh for example and does this drop out easily? I really should know that!

Thanks in advance. 

Gohn

You can remove the diff from the gearbox fairly easily, but I dont understand how that will improve the shipping options

if you take off the diff, you've got parts everywhere that can go missing and another parcel to ship..

anyway, that's up to you

my scale goes up to 5kg , the diff and the housing is over that, not sure by how much but estimate about 7-8kg

removing the diff:

drain the gearbox oil, there's a plug at the very rear/bottom of the diff with a female square drive slot

then there are 4 smaller bolts11mm socket on the outer rim of the case,

and 4 larger bolts 16 or 17mm socket more centrally located. they're all hex head

once the bolts are removed, the housing should come away easily (or tap with lump of wood to loosen)

and diff inside will pretty much fall out also

i've found parcel2go to give good quotes, they're online and you can put in the postcodes and weights etc

and if you're wincing at UK shipping, you should try if from here !

Leslie green

How much does a 205 box weigh can't be much over 30kg ?

Edited by Leslie green

Ryan

According to this thread a gearbox is about 35kg, so probably around 40kg once packed or put on a pallet.