• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ob2s

3rd Gear grind advice

ob2s

Spirited down shifts in my 1.9 from 4th to 3rd result in an unnerving expensive sounding crunch, which leads me to think of the synchros. Will I need a new transmission ? The car only has 45k miles on it, but that doesn't seem to have benefitted me as much as I thought it would. I'd hate to have a transmission shipped to the US. Suggestions ?

Thanks

Edited by ob2s

Thijs_Rallye

What oil viscosity is in the box and is the clutch cable adjusted properly?

• Thanks 1

welshpug

wont need a new transmission, just a 3/4tg gear synchro

• Thanks 1

ob2s
11 minutes ago, welshpug said:

wont need a new transmission, just a 3/4tg gear synchro

Thanks, I assume of course the transmission will be dropped and I would take it to a transmission shop ? I hope I can find one that isn't scared away by Peugeot. Many places won't even let me in the door. I may try cable validation and some new oil first. 

welshpug

they are not a difficult transmission to do, I did my own for the very same fault, on mine the spring clip had broken, I found it stuck to the magnet that is inside the case.

I made a thread about it too.

the Haynes workshop manual does a pretty decent job of covering it also.

• Thanks 1

SRDT

You can find BE gearboxes and parts on the US, Peugeot used it on the 405. That being said it may be easier to import what you need.

• Thanks 1

Ozymandis
On 12/3/2020 at 5:36 PM, welshpug said:

the Haynes workshop manual does a pretty decent job of covering it also.

Only the earlier edition with a black and white cutaway drawing on the front. The later edition with a reddy/orange coloured illustration on the front has all that info, and more deleted

ob2s

Thank you for the replies. I finally found someone willing to try this repair. I have a new 3-4 syncro, and I have a BE1, is there a good online reference for removing the gearbox ? I fear that they will be discouraged as they embark on this. The haynes doesn't seem to clearly address removing the gearbox. The shop has 40 years of experience, but he did say he hadn't worked on a French car, so I think I am doomed. 

Thanks

petert

I think a broken detent spring exhibits similar symptoms.

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

DamirGTI
4 hours ago, ob2s said:

a good online reference for removing the gearbox ?

https://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/articles-guides/gearbox-drivetrain/gearbox-swapping-guide-r60/

https://www.205gtidrivers.com/forums/topic/140122-be-box-rebuildrefreshrefurb-part-sourcing-and-be1-3-part-crossover/

D

• Like 1

ob2s
8 hours ago, petert said:

I think a broken detent spring exhibits similar symptoms.

I hope that is it. It is odd, pausing between shifts (it crunches a lot more down, but also does a bit up) seems to help but sometimes, on occasion if I downshift into 3rd, it crunches and then I go to neutral, wait, put it back in 3rd and it crunches again, and one time to see how many it would do, after the 4th time I stopped because I think it would have happened until I rolled to a stop.

ob2s

Hi,

I think I am fooked. I found someone willing to try and he has it apart and says I need a new 3rd gear, but someone (in the know) said that 3rd and 4th are joined, so either my guy doesn't know what he is doing or I am doubly fooked ? I really have to get this right, because shipping is so high. 

Thanks

petert

3rd and 4th are definitely a pair.

ob2s

Here is what the guy said was wrong 

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0695.JPG

welshpug

looks like the left hand synchro friction ring there is worn, hard to tell from the images, the gears look fine

ob2s

I acquired a new 3rd gear from Spoox and that fixed it. Thanks for the info, it was invaluable.