• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ob2s

Prior Bad Repair Commiseration

ob2s

My 1.9 leaks petrol on corners and fill ups. It is rather debilitating. I did a track event and was asked to drop out because of it, despite my trying to remediate before hand. It is such a simple stupid thing, but has kept me from really enjoying the car. Here is what a previous mechanic did. The filler neck is a hard plastic dual pipe and there is a rubber hose connecting it to the gas tank. The neck on the tank is also hard plastic. That hose pipe was held on with some of the thickest metal hose clamps I have ever seen. You can't flex them by hand.  See below. Instead of making sure the end (A) is flush to the outer band, extreme tightening caused (A) to pierce the filler neck pipe. Due to the design of the neck, you can't move up or down to avoid the hole it created. You can move a bit down on the tank neck where the same GD hose clamp was used, but you can't use the specialized hose I bought. I found the same clamp type with (A) also on the plastic air intake snorkel, piercing it too, but I was able to epoxy a fix. I've ordered an 'ungainly to ship' used filler neck from Sc*nthorpe (a guy who doesn't ship to the US, so I paid a reshipping service). F*ck me !

capo371.jpg

DamirGTI

Plastic parts can be repaired easy , just needs the right type of plastic rods ("PP" thermoplastic is commonly used on all the 205 plastic parts) and heat gun .. and if skilled can do wonders on plastic repairing cracks , tears , joining two pieces together etc. .. for reinforcing can add bits and pieces of alu. mesh and fuse them in the repaired part .

On a DIY basis repair , low wattage soldering iron (can even connect it via a light dimmer switch to control the temperature) and some "donor" clean/de-greased bits and pieces of the same type of plastic cut as needed for filling up works .. important bit is just not to overheat the plastic .

D

Tom Fenton
19 hours ago, ob2s said:

My 1.9 leaks petrol on corners and fill ups. It is rather debilitating. I did a track event and was asked to drop out because of it, despite my trying to remediate before hand. It is such a simple stupid thing, but has kept me from really enjoying the car. Here is what a previous mechanic did. The filler neck is a hard plastic dual pipe and there is a rubber hose connecting it to the gas tank. The neck on the tank is also hard plastic. That hose pipe was held on with some of the thickest metal hose clamps I have ever seen. You can't flex them by hand.  See below. Instead of making sure the end (A) is flush to the outer band, extreme tightening caused (A) to pierce the filler neck pipe. Due to the design of the neck, you can't move up or down to avoid the hole it created. You can move a bit down on the tank neck where the same GD hose clamp was used, but you can't use the specialized hose I bought. I found the same clamp type with (A) also on the plastic air intake snorkel, piercing it too, but I was able to epoxy a fix. I've ordered an 'ungainly to ship' used filler neck from Sc*nthorpe (a guy who doesn't ship to the US, so I paid a reshipping service). F*ck me !

capo371.jpg

You should have asked on here. I have some filler necks and would have posted one to you.