• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Callum

How to tell if bumper is genuine

Callum

Are there markings on the inside of genuine bumpers to use as identification? 

DamirGTI

Possibly there is some markings ..

Anyhow , the OE item is made out of fiberglass and a bit thick , while all the aftermarket stuff is plastic (PP thermoplastic , ABS plastic etc.) and mostly thinner .

If you have it in hands twisting and bending will be impossible on the OE item , all the aftermarket ones will twist and bend (some of the cheaper ones literary like a banana !) , also trying knock with a finger the OE will be like knocking on a thick glass or similar .

Besides the above , the most common way to spot aftermarket item is bumper length top to bottom - all the aftermarket ones are shorter in length !

Kinda easy to spot really which is which in real .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Callum

Thanks for the detailed reply the trouble is im looking to buy a genuine replacement bumper and will probably have to buy one without seeing it in person i knew about the different materials was hoping there was a way of identifying it without  having to take the sellers word for it

SRDT

In 2013 the subcontractor stopped production but I don't know if PSA took the molds elsewhere or just had them scrapped.

I can't find any bumper at pieces-de-rechange-classic.com so I guess bumpers manufactured after 2013 aren't genuine.

Also real bumpers are painted, the fibre-reinforced plastic just can't look good without paint.

Gohn

"the sellers word" , nice

obvious when you've got the part in your hands, hard to tell otherwise

had mine off to fix a previous owners tow pull mangle

these pics are all the detail the bumpers actually have, they might be useless but just in case have a look and good luck...

mine is an original GTi bumper

there's NO BRAND name anywhere except maybe for the P shown next to the recycle sign

the valance attached is made by OMEGAL

the calipers show the width of the bumper at 112-113mm

the number plate indentation is 465mm long approx

there are some numbers shown which I assume are part numbers but dunno

bump1.JPG

bump2.JPG

bump3.JPG

bump4.JPG

bump5.JPG

bump6.JPG

bump7.JPG