• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Callum

Front driving lights amps and plugs

Callum

I need to replace the plugs for my driving lights as they have a poor connection, ive seen these that i could replace a section of the loom with and in the advert its says suitable upto 14amps and the wiring is 1.5mm could anyone tell me if these will be a suitable replacement thanks

Screenshot_20201023_141733_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Anthony

In terms of current rating, they should be fine - a 55W driving lamp bulb will pull around 4.5A

The problem that I can see that you're likely to face however is that those look to have quite a short length of wire on them, and in my experience, you're likely to find that the 205 wiring will have corroded blackened wire for several inches minimum (and quite possibly a lot more) that you'll need to chop back to find clean wire to make a decent connection.

Callum

Thanks for your reply good to know about the amps. In the advert it says its 10cm of wire so i may be lucky if not its not an issue to be honest 

welshpug

I used much the same style of plug on mine (typically called superseal)   however I bought a crimping tool and the parts all unassembled.

• Like 1

SweetBadger

If the copper is blackened you can often get it bright again by spreading out the strands and then sanding with some fine sand paper. Bit fiddly but does work if you have no other option.

• Like 1

Callum

Fitted the replacement plugs and loom was lucky and didnt have to cut too much of the original loom back pretty happy with out come 

davemar
On 10/24/2020 at 8:45 PM, SweetBadger said:

If the copper is blackened you can often get it bright again by spreading out the strands and then sanding with some fine sand paper. Bit fiddly but does work if you have no other option.

Also soaking the copper in vinegar can get rid of the oxidisation.

• Like 1