• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Junior1

Gearbox oil grade

Junior1

Hi all, could anyone tell me what they are using in their MA boxes? I got the car rolling around the shed with some EP 80w90 gearbox oil in it but first drive it just shuddered and died. Starter sounds awful now too which it didn't before. 

Any advice? 

Thijs_Rallye

75W80 GL5

Your issues of shuddering and strange starter noises don't really seem connected. What has been done to the car?

Junior1
5 minutes ago, Thijs_Rallye said:

75W80 GL5

Your issues of shuddering and strange starter noises don't really seem connected. What has been done to the car?

Thanks, 

I'm just trying to work through everything really. Car was a bit hard to start as I have repiped the fuel system but got it running well, the starter was fine when I was winding it over. 

Completely standard 954cc car, been sitting a while before I started working on it but I drove it into the shed with no issues. I've replaced anything that could be an MOT fail with new parts, new service parts and nothing done to the box apart from fresh oil. 

welshpug

definitely a very wrong oil there!!  it'll shift much nicer with 75w80 or 75w oil, though might need a 2nd change to flush out the thicker stuff.