• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gohn

205 Standard to GTI subframe Trouble

Gohn

https://www.205gtidrivers.com/forums/topic/171513-proper-mounting-of-gti-subframe-on-normal-205/?_fromLogin=1

I've come across this earlier discussion because I'm currently attempting to fit a GTi/TD subframe to a base model 205

and I'm having difficulty

got a base model 205 and got a GTi/Turbo Diesel subframe to replace the existing standard version on the car

the 205 is the 1.6litre petrol.

I've never fitted a GTi subframe before but have fitted the base model ones a few times and never had any trouble at all

anyway, this time took the base model subframe off and tried to fit the GTi subframe on

the front GTi subframe "arms" slot onto the wheelarch bolts ok, but the 4 rear bolt holes dont line up so I cant get the 4 bolts up thru the subframe holes and into the chassis

the bolts on the right side will go in with difficulty ...

but the left wont, to line the subframe holes up with the chassis holes, the subframe needs to go left about 8mm and back about 3mm

I've checked both the chassis and the GTi subframe for any signs of past crashes or damage and cant see anything

the chassis/shell looks dead straight with the bottom rails and wheel arches, engine bay, paint, panels, sound deadener, everythings where and how it should be

the GTi subframe also does not have any obvious creases or dents and even looked over the old standard subframe and it looks fine too

at a bit of a loss really,

all I can think is that the GTi subframe has been in a mild shunt on its previous car, its not visible to the naked eye and the effect is only really visible in the misaligned attachment points ?

just in case there are any suggestions that I've missed before I go and try and find another subby and spend more dosh , will be greatly appreciated

welshpug

have you tried loosening the 4 smaller bolts and not fully tightening the others before trying?

Gohn

yeah, thanks for suggestion

the subframe is just jacked up carefully under the chassis

the two front "arms" of the subframe are on the chassis wheelarch bolts but I have not put the nuts on to tighten down

and the 4 rear bolts are not in place because I can't get them all in

there's nothing else in the way or fouling the fit so should just bolt up

is it even possible to try and straighten a subframe  ?

or should I cut off the GTi control arm attachment pieces and weld them onto the standard subframe ?

bloody hell

Ozymandis

The 4 small bolts holding the front mountings to the wheelarch he means, loosen those and twat the mountings a bit in the direction required, theres a little slop in them.

Gohn

ok thanks, I was wondering about them

today I stripped and cleaned both subframes

then laid them next to each other and started going over them section by section comparing to see if I could pick up any dings or bends in the GTi subby

sure enough there's a ding/bend on the underside Left near the rear control arm attachment slot

that side has been pushed in slightly and there is minor concaving of the underside plating,

and the brace pipe that runs between the L and R sides is down in the middle and humped at the R attachment point

I think there's been a shunt in the past, maybe somewhere from the middle of the front door back, and that force has fed thru the chassis and into the subframe

there's no cracks or terrible creases so some well placed persuasion is on the cards for tomorrow

I figure its metal so I'll just help it back to where it was

thanks for the support