• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Kagor

Clogged brake compensator 1.9L

Kagor

Hi,

1989 205 GTI 1.9L Phase 1,5

my rear left brake compensator was clogged and gave me a failed MOT.

Thought it was the master cylinder firsta and refurbished it with a repair kit, didn't solve the issue.

Took the brake compensator off the car and tried to clean the blockage for hours, didn't work. As a last resort heat was applied and it opened up, letting fluid through.
Question is, how does the internals of these look like, any polymer parts inside? should I replace them or are they all metal and good to go?

If needed, where should I look for a reasonably priced replacement?

Thanks for your advice. 

Edited by Kagor

Thijs_Rallye

I'd definitely replace them. There are rubber(ish) parts inside.

Kagor

Ok, thanks.

Is it necessary to change them in pairs?

Thijs_Rallye
15 hours ago, Kagor said:

Ok, thanks.

Is it necessary to change them in pairs?

I would do so to prevent uneven braking.

DamirGTI

There's an letter stamp on the compensator somewhere on the body , two types of them marked  "L" and "D" or something like so can't remember precisely .. thus if changing just a single unit replacement must be the same letter markings compensator as the old one . 

Good luck finding one , they're a bit hard to find and a bit pricey if you find some these days .. ATE ones used to be around 50EUR back in the days .

D

welshpug

the last set I fitted came from TRW , before that they had all been Bosch, including the specific ones for my zx 16v which came from Germany.

Kagor

Thanks for the advice! ^_^

Should have had taken a picture before putting it back on again, ughh :wacko:  I am going to try to identify the type of compensator first.

Since the car is parked outside I cannot work on the brakes properly. If the compensators are too rusty or facing away against the floor I have to identify by some serial number. As an alternative, should I compare the last seven digits of my chassis number with the drawing info below?

Brake_compensator 

Kagor

Hi again,

had a chance to look at the old part, it says "E"  and "24" stamped on one side, and the car falls in the late model of chassis.

Let me know if anybody knows a good source of these brake compensators, Manufacturer part number: 4861 49.

Thanks!

welshpug

Autodoc list 6 different brands however no stock under any, but may be an useful reference for the part numbers to search elsewhere.

welshpug

5 listed on ebay in spain.

SRDT
Kagor

Nice! Thanks!

DamirGTI

Nice to see the price is "back to normal" !

Seen them just few years ago on various places double that price ...

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Kagor
17 hours ago, Kagor said:

Has anyone tried to order from L'aventure Peugeot with international shipment, seems like it is available to France and Monaco only.

Just confirmed, they do :)