• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Ren89

Strut top/steering!

Ren89

Hi, I've just replaced my front struts and springs as the springs were rubbing on inside, that's all fine now but should there be that much play/gap when turning the wheel? when wheels are straight it sits flat. 

DSC_0131.JPG

Ozymandis

Those gaps are inconsistent, don't worry about it.

The top mount and strut tower look domed in that picture?

Ren89

What do you by domed? 

Might just be the angle of the picture. 

Ozymandis

Imagine the 3 studs should be vertical and parallel to one another at 90 degrees to the top mount, a jump or impact bashes the shock rod upwards bending/ doming the flimsy top mount and the strut tower top on the inner wing, the 3 studs then aren't parallel to one another but splayed out pointing away from the centre. Which is what that photo looks like.

A common problem easily fixed by taking it all to bits again and twatting it flat with a chunk of wood and a lump hammer, if You can be arsed.

Ren89

Oh right ok , is that gonna be a problem that needs sorting or will it be fine as it is? Doesn't seem too bad when looking at it, also the gap does move when steering from one side to the other was just worried there might be something I've done wrong, don't want to cause any damage. 

Ozymandis

I have never left one like that , if it is actually domed.

So I cant answer that.

i have a cardboard pattern and my blacksmith flame cuts me 7mm reinforcing plates for the top, they never bend again.