• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Philpooma

Over fuelling sensor connection check

Philpooma
48 minutes ago, PhilNW said:

My mistake - I was thinking diesel 

Appreciate the input anyway Phil 

Philpooma
2 hours ago, welshpug said:

don't need to stop and start, use a pair of insulated grips.

as for the injectors running against pressure, they don't unless it is a boosted engine, they will be under a vacuum with the throttle closed, about half a bar at the most, the vacuum reference tube to the pressure regulator compensates for this.

if the car has not been run up to temperature and given a decent drive the exhaust can be full of condensation which will smell of petrol.

I would start with a compression test, a fresh set of plugs and have the injectors refurbished/cleaned.

You could be right here Mei.

I was assuming that if the liquid dripping from the exhaust smelt of fuel - It was fuel.

I shouldn’t need to do a compression test as its a fresh rebuilt engine, but for peace of mind I can borrow a tester and try it.

I’ll go back to basics and check sparks.

The injectors have been serviced and last week were put on the test machine to check them out, they all ran perfectly.

If nobody has heard of injectors behaving differently when fitted into the head compared to having them run outside of the engine, then maybe I’m just going down a blind alley there.

I was concerned about bore wash so have been running the engine in very short bursts just to see if its running on 3 or 4 cylinders. I’ll report back as long as everyone isn’t  bored of this yet ;)

Tom Fenton

I would suggest it’s the running on 3 is the cause of the fuel stink as it’s unburnt fuel, not an injection fault.

I would 100% compression test. It certainly won’t be the first or last rebuilt engine to have some problem.

Philpooma
3 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

I would suggest it’s the running on 3 is the cause of the fuel stink as it’s unburnt fuel, not an injection fault.

I would 100% compression test. It certainly won’t be the first or last rebuilt engine to have some problem.

Out of interest, what problem will I be looking for with the compression test?

The usual issue would be head gasket - Which I sincerely hope isn't an issue since I rebuilt it very carefully.

I suppose the question I’m asking is what problem could this expose that would make the engine run on 3 cylinders?

Tom Fenton

Piston rings broken valves stuck in guides valves not sealing lifters not shimmed right etc etc etc

Philpooma

Thanks to everyone for their input into my fuelling problem, I have now resolved the issue and can report back  on the cause of the problem. Out of interest, when I spoke to a mechanic who had been working on Peugeots for the last 40 years, he said that he had never seen this issue that I experienced.

Anyway, back to the issue.

It turns out that my fuel pressure regulator has a perforated diaphragm, what was happening is that fuel was leaking from the fuel pressure regulator, down the vacuum pipe and into the inlet manifold.

This was then finding its way into the first cylinder and was causing all the running issues that I was experiencing.

Its worth people knowing that this could happen, even if is only one in 10 thousand :angry:.

8C758418-7645-4EB7-AB85-57B10B210FF4.jpeg

76ADE62E-A0B5-46F5-9B7D-DB6517F83F5B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Tom Fenton

I have heard of this before. Well done finding it.

Philpooma
7 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

I have heard of this before. Well done finding it.

Cheers Tom :), maybe if someone else has this issue they will come across my post and it will help them.