• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Rally trip meter signal

Tom Fenton

One for the rally-ists out there if any are watching!

Got a trip meter to fit to my rally car, it requires a pulsed speed signal.

The easy way would be to fit one of these-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gearbox-Speedo-Speed-Sensor-For-Peugeot-106-306-406-Boxer-Partner-CPSS4PE/142650596937?fits=Car+Make%3APeugeot|Model%3A306&hash=item2136a35e49:g:hN0AAOSwlpZaVMAc

But is it compatible? And does anyone know the pin outs, I'm assuming 12v, GND, SIGNAL but in which order?

Thanks chaps

welshpug

on the gti6 loom its shown as follows;

pin 1, 12v.

pin 2, earth

pin3, signal to ecu and speedometer.

I'm not sure its compatible though, I've noticed most FWD rally cars use an aftermarket sensor picking up off a rear hub.

Daniel306

Iv got one of those connected to my Emerald, Its 10 triggers per wheel rotation if that helps

SweetBadger

Any info you need about the sensor should be covered in the topic:

pulses per rev will be dependent on speedo drive gearing, but sensor has 8 pulses per rotation.

Would be surprised if you can’t get it to work, as all the sensor does is switch the signal wire to ground.

Tom Fenton

Thanks all, as Mei pointed out and others have too, it really needs to be sensing from a non driven wheel as wheelspin will skew the readings, quite substantially some folk have said.

I'll have to have a think about how to do it.

SweetBadger

Oh yeah very true, but then if it's a rally car I'd imagine the handbrake will get a lot of use so the rear wheels will be locked for some of the time while the car is moving. Probably nowhere near as bad as wheel spin, but will still skew things.

Would have thought a GPS one would be the way to go, and it'd save you hassle fitting a wheel sensor?

welshpug

gps isn't anywhere near accurate enough at a clubman rallyists level, a rear wheel is probably the closest you'll get.

Tom Fenton

I've actually used a GPS one when competing with my navigators hat on, in practise plenty good enough for what we were doing, and massive bonus not having to piss about calibrating it. However technically illegal, the rules state no use of GPS equipment in the car, now this is obviously intended to exclude folk from using gps sat nav/live maps, and I'd argue a distance measurer using GPS should sensibly be allowed, but they are the rules as they stand.

However Yorkshire hat on, the trip to fulfil what is needed (time of day display alongside trip distance) with the GPS is nearly £500, a second hand one without GPS £100 and that is what I've bought! It will certainly help my nav, but it will also take him time to get used to using it, so £100 is a lot more palatable if we find he doesn't really get on with it.

allanallen
23 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

I've actually used a GPS one when competing with my navigators hat on, in practise plenty good enough for what we were doing, and massive bonus not having to piss about calibrating it. However technically illegal, the rules state no use of GPS equipment in the car, now this is obviously intended to exclude folk from using gps sat nav/live maps, and I'd argue a distance measurer using GPS should sensibly be allowed, but they are the rules as they stand.

However Yorkshire hat on, the trip to fulfil what is needed (time of day display alongside trip distance) with the GPS is nearly £500, a second hand one without GPS £100 and that is what I've bought! It will certainly help my nav, but it will also take him time to get used to using it, so £100 is a lot more palatable if we find he doesn't really get on with it.

I thought they’d relaxed the gps rule somewhat?! 
I never worried, but then I do t generally worry about anything :D