• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Ozymandis

Boot Lid Seal Trial with Focus Mk2 type.

Ozymandis

Its exactly the same length and fits easily, sealing perfectly when I hosepipe it.

The squishy foam hollow tubular seal part of it is about 1/3 as big again so the boot needs a fair old slam.

A bit of fiddling with the hinge alignment and the striker alignment then its only a little slam needed.

I`m getting another for my car.

• Thanks 1

Philip

i bought the same one a few weeks ago from ebay, agree with you on the length and fit to the body,  they are both perfect. But when my boot is shut the shut line of the tailgate to the body is not parallel it tapers from a

good gap at the top of the car to a good 50% bigger by the time you get down to the area near the lights. this is with a good slam.

It seals perfectly but it just looks wrong , like the boot isn't shut properly     

Do you think messing with the striker would help cure this or will i have to adjust the hinges as well ?

Ozymandis

I know exactly what You mean, I found that the adjustment on the striker plate isnt quite enough to get an even gap all round and am messing around with the hinges now. I decided no water in the car was worth the slight unevenness and am hoping it will squash down with use.

Philip

Let me know how the hinge fettling goes please? 

Kind of wishing I’d just splashed out on an original one from the museum shop ??

Ozymandis

I will, but not for a while as its on my Mrs runabout and shes sick of me fiddling about with it for the moment, its been off the road for 4 wheel bearings, 4 shockers, 4 brake flexi pipes,2 discs,2 drums ,2 wheel cylinders, 2 calipers,2 handbrake cables, 2 backplates,2 wishbones, 2 top mount bearings,brake shoes, fitting kits,pads,fitting kits,master cylinder all metal brake pipes, a set of bearings and seals in the trailing arms, 1 new pivot, t`other turned 180 degrees,etc etc etc, lockdown 100k service, stops me getting bored.

• Haha 1

Ozymandis

Further to this , i too have one thats hard to close yet 2 others that arent, there are 2 different parts used by Ford. They are different designs from different manufacturers and are used randomly, one works well on 205`s the other is much harder to get the boot to close on. I had a good look at 2 side by side the easy closing one is a more layrynthian type of construction.

Gohn

got a pic of the 'easy close' seal profile jay ?

Ozymandis
59 minutes ago, Gohn said:

got a pic of the 'easy close' seal profile jay ?

hahaha I knew someone would ask that. No I didnt take a picture

Gohn

you need a camera spanner

Ozymandis

i need a scrapyard am sick of all these crappy old bangers tbh, I had a 6ft fluorescent tube get smashed over me whilst wearing sockless jesus boots and now have 2 bits of glass in my foot sole.

i think one of my head gaskets has gone, all in all a crap month so far.

Lovely weather though, apart from all the dicks moaning its too hot, 3 months ago I had to carry 2 tons of Yorkshire coal up to my coal hole in freezing rain. its perfect weather!

• Haha 1

DamirGTI
23 hours ago, Ozymandis said:

I had a 6ft fluorescent tube get smashed over me

Similarly ... Chinese made 150W glass "industrial" light bulbs , got two of them literary exploded over my head in my garage while working .. for - industrial use , vibration resistant , use in extreme temperature environment , EU gov./commission approved ! says so on the box :wacko: .

D

Ozymandis
17 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

Similarly ... Chinese made 150W glass "industrial" light bulbs , got two of them literary exploded over my head in my garage while working .. for - industrial use , vibration resistant , use in extreme temperature environment , EU gov./commission approved ! says so on the box :wacko: .

D

This was a similar piece of eu marked garbage, Sylvania. they used to be made approx 25 miles away t`0ther side of Bradford, but this piece of shti was made in germany.

I found a carton of 20 old stock Crompton British made ones, kitemarked BS not the eu rubbish mark. Made in Doncaster.

I try not to buy chinese or german stuff . But sometimes there is no choice.

Edited by Ozymandis