• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

keeperlit

Sell or break 1989 205 GTi6?

keeperlit

Hi all,

I'm pondering the sale or breaking of my Miami (used to be black) '89 205 GTi6 which I built in 2011. The shell has some rust around the B pillars, and the car is generally in okay condition with a few dings and marks. 130k on the car, 103k on the engine. I've a reasonable bit of history with it.

With the rust on the B pillars perhaps it's better breaking rather than selling complete? I'd like to keep it in one piece TBH.

I'm now in the position where funds are needed elsewhere so sadly I can't take on the re-shelling or welding required to the shell.

Any ideas of what it might be worth will help me decide whether to keep it or not. Obviously I don't really want to sell (it's awesome!) but it does need time and $$ invested now which I don't have. :-(

Good bits:

- Complete car

- Xsara VTS 2.0 16v + gearbox all original

- Xsara VTS PAS rack

- Xsara VTS rear arms

- Koni shocks all round

- New discs + pads all round

- upraded rear ARB

- refurbed rear beam

- VTS front brakes, Mintex 1144 pads

- Braided lines all round

- Rose jointed gear linkage

- Eibach front springs

- Miami blue

- Period Alpine head unit, Kenwood components

- Good Ph2 seats

- custom exhaust, nice note, but neighbour friendly

- new handbrake cables fitted

Bad bits:

- rust at top and bottom of B pillars, holes at top

- poor paint job

- usual bolster wear on driver's seat

- wheels could do with refurb

- needs starter motor replaced (I have a spare)

- needs a front wishbone for MoT

miamigtimark

I reckon £2-2.5k whole but depends on how the rest of the structure is. 
it looks pretty tidy in the pics 

any MOT?

keeperlit

Okay, it does look okay in those pics as they're a couple of years old and you can't see the gaping holes along the roof line. Maybe I'm just being fussy, it *is* an old French car... :P

I'd defo MoT it and fix the starter/wishbone before doing anything.

I think I'd either keep it, or fix it up properly and sell at that price TBH.

miamigtimark

I was at a similar crossroads with mine (rotten b pillars and sills) . Welding to replace the drivers rear lower quarter / some in the boot / some where the tank sits between inner sill etc. Cost was £750 for that then £1k in paint (whole car).

ive not seen many gti6 engined cars go for more than £4K (eBay) and they have at face value been in above average condition and pretty tidy conversions.

Atlaskrukvaxt

It looks too good to break IMO. I've seen a lot worse cars sell for a lot more here. If I were you I'd probably sell it after correcting the MOT stuff.

keeperlit

Thanks for the input guys, there are a few other bits that would benefit from being sorted too, like the boot not closing right and a noisy water pump. I guess I'll get it MoT'd and see where I'm at.

I do love my 205

DSYKES5500

You could try Dean at http://www.peugeotparts.co.uk/contact.htm or he's on ebay as peugeotparts 

I'm sure he had some new old stock B Pillars for the GTI. 

Your car looks great, as others have said there's worse out there!  Would be shame to break it. Would you go back to the original colour?

keeperlit
9 hours ago, DSYKES5500 said:

You could try Dean at http://www.peugeotparts.co.uk/contact.htm or he's on ebay as peugeotparts 

Thanks for that! I've shot him a message :)

9 hours ago, DSYKES5500 said:

Your car looks great, as others have said there's worse out there!  Would be shame to break it. Would you go back to the original colour?

I like Miami too much, and it looks to have been re-shelled way in the past so it's never going to be an original example. I'm happy with that, as long as it looks, sounds and most importantly handles as a 205 should. Oh, and is structurally sound :)

keeperlit

Found a late diesel shell nearby with sunroof which could potentially be used as a B pillar/roof donor.

My shell is solid apart from the roof - does it sound like madness to cut and replace the entire roof?

The shell is £100 and has gone in the usual places like boot floor, behind headlights etc so not suitable for reshell.

IMG_20200802_1629245.jpg

IMG_20200802_1629409.jpg

IMG_20200802_1632030.jpg

keeperlit

Moved the chat to the Body forum section: 

ALEX
On 7/25/2020 at 12:46 AM, DSYKES5500 said:

I'd sooner do squats over a cactus than use him again!

Edited by ALEX
  • Like 1

DSYKES5500
On 8/4/2020 at 1:37 PM, ALEX said:

I'd sooner do squats over a cactus than use him again!

Why, what happened?  I've ordered loads from him and it's always arrived well packed and correct items. 

ALEX
On 8/7/2020 at 9:13 PM, DSYKES5500 said:

Why, what happened?  I've ordered loads from him and it's always arrived well packed and correct items. 

Apart from him selling me a fuel hose as a genuine servo vacuum hose which then collapsed under vacuum. This caused the rear brakes to lock up under hard braking which sent me in a 180 degrees spin doing 50 and just missing a transit head on coming in the opposite direction. (I still have flashbacks to this day. I'm lucky to be alive.)  He also sold me a not so cheap sump that looked like it was pulled from a canal.  "Should clean and paint up nicely" he advised. Leaked worse than my old one when fitted.  Wasted £10 on a gasket and hours of labour later offered a better replacement he could have sold me in the first place.

Then finally branded me a thief and refused to do business with me. 

Looking back I was a mug for using him for so long. 

Edited by ALEX

Ozymandis
4 hours ago, ALEX said:

Apart from him selling me a fuel hose as a genuine servo vacuum hose which then collapsed under vacuum. This caused the rear brakes to lock up under hard braking which sent me in a 180 degrees spin doing 50 and just missing a transit head on coming in the opposite direction. (I still have flashbacks to this day. I'm lucky to be alive.)  He also sold me a not so cheap sump that looked like it was pulled from a canal.  "Should clean and paint up nicely" he advised. Leaked worse than my old one when fitted.  Wasted £10 on a gasket and hours of labour later offered a better replacement he could have sold me in the first place.

Then finally branded me a thief and refused to do business with me. 

Looking back I was a mug for using him for so long. 

My girlfriend ordered a genuine Peugeot 205 central locking kit from him on fleabay, an assorted collection of bits arrived in a burst brown paper parcel it was just a random collection of likely looking bits, when she complained they got arsey with a few snide comments, my own experiences of him are not good either, sarky comments instead of helpful replies to messages etc. A money oriented chancer.

• Like 1

ALEX

Watched him sell a 10p oring for £4 while waiting once.  

Found him difficult to read and often felt awkward while waiting to get served.

Prices were much higher than breakers but for convenience youd expect to pay a premium but not that much. Also wasn't sure why he'd tell you the price without VAT then add it on especially for 2nd hand goods. Breaker yards don't do that. I'm guessing it was to justify the high price he'd charge for stuff. Definitely a chancer.