• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
K20205

Using 10mm spacer with 1.9 speedline

K20205

Hi everyone, my k20 project is finished and I recently fitted my speedlines on and realised that on full lock to the right the wheel is touching the gearbox, i now need to use a 10mm spacer to give abit more clearance to the wheel But my problem is i cannot find wheel bolts that are long enough to compensate for the 10mm spacing and also they need to be flat faced bolt..

can anybody give me an idea on what i can do or where i can source such wheel bolts? 
i was considering stud conversion.

Atlaskrukvaxt

Hi!

There are "flat to tapered" washers out there. I've never tried though.

If they are cheap it might be worth trying them out.

You'd then use extended tapered bolts with these flat washer adapters in that case.

image.png.93ea58fa7f7891b2343693bd2b148318.png

Best wishes.

Edited by Atlaskrukvaxt

petert

BX16V bolts are what you need. Probably easier to fit studs and nuts from Grayson however.

welshpug

i would just limit the lock.

K20205
3 hours ago, welshpug said:

i would just limit the lock.

My drive to work is all country roads and has too many bends, last thing i want is the wheels to blow up on the way, 

ill try what petert said and see if they work, 

welshpug

why would limiting the lock like a 306 gti6 make the wheels blow up?!

K20205
11 minutes ago, welshpug said:

why would limiting the lock like a 306 gti6 make the wheels blow up?!

They are touching the gearbox housing its too rigid and sharp cant risk the tyres touching it.

what do you mean by limiting? By physically not turning the steering wheel to full lock?

Edited by K20205

welshpug

yes, all you need is a collar clamped onto the rack under the boot on the right side.

Tom Fenton

If it is a manual steering rack its even easier, just undo the track rod from the rack and slip on a simple ring spacer then replace the track rod.

K20205
1 hour ago, Tom Fenton said:

If it is a manual steering rack its even easier, just undo the track rod from the rack and slip on a simple ring spacer then replace the track rod.

Yes its a manual rack,

so i just need to remove the track rod end and slip on a spacer and refit the track rod, 

wouldn't that mess up the tracking on the car? 
also does this need to be done to the other side too?

cheers

Tom Fenton

Tracking will stay the same. Think about it. Or better still have a look and you will see what is needed. You are not spacing the track rod away from the rack. You are putting a spacer in that it will hit before the rack end and as a result limit the lock.

K20205
1 hour ago, Tom Fenton said:

Tracking will stay the same. Think about it. Or better still have a look and you will see what is needed. You are not spacing the track rod away from the rack. You are putting a spacer in that it will hit before the rack end and as a result limit the lock.

Does it look like this?

wouldnt fitting a spacer make the inner rod lose threads? Or does it have enough thread to be safe on there with the spacer fitted.

318183DA-BC1A-4B09-BDCC-FBBC698C3602.jpeg

36675E85-3EFC-4E71-9999-06E7BAD7A16D.jpeg

welshpug

its just a bit of tube you put on the right hand side of the rack, nothing to do with the threads.

manual rack or pas, makes no odds, right side is the same on both

K20205
2 hours ago, welshpug said:

its just a bit of tube you put on the right hand side of the rack, nothing to do with the threads.

manual rack or pas, makes no odds, right side is the same on both

Ok I understand, does it make a difference on what side because mine is actually the passenger side, is that the side you mean by right?

do you know what size tube i can buy to make it fit?

welshpug

you would need to measure how much you need to limit the lock by to figure the length of the spacer, the i.d just needs to be enough to go over the rack itself.

it goes on the right side of the car if you want to limit right hand lock.

K20205
On 7/7/2020 at 5:15 PM, welshpug said:

you would need to measure how much you need to limit the lock by to figure the length of the spacer, the i.d just needs to be enough to go over the rack itself.

it goes on the right side of the car if you want to limit right hand lock.

Would you by any chance know the id of the spacer that im going to need, itll save me

time from removing boot and checking the size to Order online.

thanks

SweetBadger

Just to add to this, it has been suggested on here previously that a jubilee clip on the rack end is sufficient to provide a stop.

Tried it, it's not! All it achieves is a bent jubilee clip and a cracked casting on the end of the rack body where the boot attaches :angry:

I did it properly with a piece of nylon rod - if you have a drill press you can drill out the id to the correct size yourself, and then cut the nylon rod to the required length.

K20205
30 minutes ago, SweetBadger said:

Just to add to this, it has been suggested on here previously that a jubilee clip on the rack end is sufficient to provide a stop.

Tried it, it's not! All it achieves is a bent jubilee clip and a cracked casting on the end of the rack body where the boot attaches :angry:

I did it properly with a piece of nylon rod - if you have a drill press you can drill out the id to the correct size yourself, and then cut the nylon rod to the required length.

Good idea mate, never thought of that, i always thought of a steel washer and never nylon, approximately what diameter do you think should fit around the rack casing?

would 40mm OD be good?

SweetBadger

Can’t remember what the outer diameter was, but if you make it the same as the end of the track rod that bolts on to the rack then it should be fine.