• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Caimin

what brake/ suspension setup do i have?

Caimin

hello, i have a 205 gti here and im not sure what suspension or brakes i have. its a 1.6 car but dont think either are original. any help figuring out what they are would be great as i would like to get new pads etc and figure out if they are even suited for what i want ( trackdays mostly) or if i should upgrade. 

heres a few pictures: 

if more pictures or measurements would help i can get them.

thanks in advance!

20200702_130143.jpg

20200702_130003.jpg

Caimin

20200702_130025.jpg

20200702_145608.jpg

pug_ham

The hubs are from a 1.9 or 306 looking at the drive flange, as for the calipers, they are ATE but no idea what model they are off to help ID what brake pads you need.

What size are the discs?

Shocks look like Bilstein adjustable bodies, nothing wrong with them (apart from the rust on the threads) & depending on what pound springs are fitted, fine for trackdays.

g

Tom Fenton

I think they are 106 GTI brakes. Measure the disc outer diameter, probably 266mm. Probably fine for track use just put some suitable pads in, Mintex M1155 or Ferodo Ds3000

welshpug

106/306 ate, 247mm.

you have 1.9 hubs shafts and discs there too (disc is the same as 106/306)

Caimin

thanks all for the help!

good to hear the shocks are a decent brand anyway, no idea what the springs are, would they usually have engravings on them somewhere? i think the car was used off road a bit on gravel etc so the springs may not be suited to tarmac.

the disks are difficult to measure while on the car but im getting around 245mm, so probably the 247mm as above.

i removed one of the pads for a photo if it helps make it clearer what they are: 

20200705_163826.jpg

20200705_163841.jpg

welshpug

ate caliper like i said above,106/306 fitment.

Caimin
35 minutes ago, welshpug said:

ate caliper like i said above,106/306 fitment.

thanks very much, good to know! 

i also have these calipers which came with the car, anyone know what they are or if they are better or worse then whats fitted? 

they seem to be for the same size disk.

20200705_163107.jpg

welshpug

bendix 1.6 calipers, probably more worn out and more chance of the nipples snapping on them, I haven't compared the coat of the pads between them but either are relatively common.

Caimin

thanks for all the help! its good to know what i have atleast it makes future maintenance or repairs easier if i know what cars the parts came off.

im looking for advice on the springs, being that i dont know what the current ones are, and its probably not easy to find out, could anyone reccomend good springs that i could change to while keeping the shocks that would be suitable for trackdays? would also like a bit lower as the car is fairly high at the front at the moment. just basic fun trackdays, not looking to beat any time records or anything. 

any advice appreciated!

Tom Fenton

Go and do a trackday in it as it is suspension wise. It may well be perfectly fine. From experience your money will likely be better spent on the rear torsion bars.

Caimin
4 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Go and do a trackday in it as it is suspension wise. It may well be perfectly fine. From experience your money will likely be better spent on the rear torsion bars.

good point, hopefully true. my other issue though it that the car is sitting pretty high at the front on these shocks. im not certain how to adjust them down but visually it looks to me like the threaded section is the adjustment, and its already at the lowest setting? surely any adjustment would make the car higher? maby im missing something ive never adjusted shocks before..

interesting about the rear tortion bars, i wouldnt have thought there could be much variation in those, is there different stiffness available?

thanks again for all advice