• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

sussex

Possible Breather Issues XU5J-Occasional Blue Smoke

sussex

Hi...I've asked around various garages all of who have a different angle on my problem. Car drives around town without problem, but when i do longer sustained journeys typically on to Motorway the Pug suddenly blows blue smoke for approx 20 secs (and i mean an initial huge cloud of blue, followed by puffs when depressing accelerator-very alarming but car doesn't stutter continues to drive perfectly) and then clears completely with no further probs. The car had a Heads/top end rebuild in Jul 2019 (by previous owner-garage folded) but did very few miles until i purchased in June 2020  Is this a breather problem or something more serious like Stem Valve/piston ring problems? A diagnosis would help me put the correct fix in place first time...many thanks.. Ps ...the engine searches a bit when cold and can stall after a couple of miles but then settles down (a local garage looked at this & failed to address!)... Anyone know a decent 205 GTI mechanic based near Brighton??

Tom Fenton

The breather system works well on a 205 and is unlikely to cause a problem. Basic checks that hoses are not squashed or collapsed is all that should be needed. A leak down test should highlight piston rings, if that is the issue.

My gut feeling would be valve stems or seals. Were the guides changed when the head was rebuilt, you may not know or be able to find out.

I would check that the master cylinder is not leaking brake fluid into the servo which is getting pulled into the inlet manifold and burned. I have seen this once before.

Hunting when cold and cutting out after a couple of miles sounds like classic set up issues. It just needs someone that knows what to look for and adjust!

sussex

Many thanks Tom-appreciated. The breather pipes are old and non original spec. I'll probably renew first and check again. I removed the attached breather pipe and was surprised to see the metal pipe projecting from the casing to be full of oil- i'm no mechanic but is this correct- i thought it would breathe air?

Breather Pipe.jpg

SootySport

Clean all the Breather pipes out and refit.  Take car for another drive and it should all be smoke free.   If any pipes are starting to rot or splitting, renew them.

sussex

Thank you Bernie