• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bacardincoke

Fuel Pressure Regulator...

bacardincoke

I mentioned befored that a previous owner had fitted an aftermarket 'FSE' adjustable fuel regulator to my '89 1.9 GTI Non Cat, UK model.

The car's been running perfectly in my ownership, and while I'm going to leave well alone at the minute, it's an old install and some background reading suggests they can be temperamental.

If the time does comes to change it out, I'll probably go back to a stock regulator.

While I'm in no hurry, I've been looking around and would like to check my understanding is correct.

Servicebox shows 1563 99 (3.0 Bar) is what would have originally been fitted.

There are new equivalents from Lucas and others, all at anything between £30 - £40.

Bosch (were they the OEM supplier?) 0280 160 258 also seems compatible, but more scarce and much more expensive at +£150.

Is it a case of you get what you pay for?

The new equivalent regulators are advertised as also suitable for other make such as Volvo and Lancia etc..

While the regulator part may be identical, do they have for example different fitting brackets to a 205? I ask because if they are 100% the same I can widen my search.

DamirGTI

If the "FSE" serves the purpose as it is , why bother ?

As i said before , don't necessary believe everything you read .. as most of the bad experiences with them is adjusting "by feel" without any means of actual pressure measurement , and running one on std. engine (again, badly/incorrectly adjusted overfueling the engine) ..

New Bosch OE type capsule regulators are prohibitively expensive .. it's ridiculous , i remember buying a brand new one around 10 years ago from Peugeot for roughly 30/35 quid , now the price has gone up 10x more . So i'd say while you'll get what you want you'll also pay the salesman margin as a vast majority of the price difference .

I have two or three types OE Bosch regulators , all with different codes .. two of them being 3 Bar rated and one 2.7 Bar or something like that (that one is from a low compression 1.9 DFZ engine) .

New one which i bought from Peugeot had different part number , think it ends with *270 .. will need to check .. anyhow it's also 3 Bar regulator as the OE one and fits the 205 rail perfect , all the mounts/bolts are in the same place .

If you really want to go back to OE , and avoid paying "antique" prices , i'd find an used/second hand one ... as they rarely go bad .

D

Edited by DamirGTI
  • Thanks 1

bacardincoke

Cheers Damir... No plans to change the FSE anytime soon, just covering the bases in case it gives up in the future and needs replaced. 

Have you any experience of the cheaper, modern equivalents like this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Pressure-Sensor-FDB1018-Lucas-76777980-XXXX1709907-7677798-7700747543-New-/333431633821

s-l500.jpg

I understand what you're saying about paying a premium purely because something is a well known brand name, and though it doesn't always follow but because the new ones are vastly cheaper than a Bosch, it may be for a reason?

Good to know the mounts are the same across the different parts, makes life easier.

Have I got the Bosch number ( 0280 160 258) correct, and it's one of the ones that are suitable for my car?

Edited by bacardincoke

DamirGTI

Yes , Bosch 0 280 160 258 used to be OE fitment on 1.6/1.9 engines from factory .. but during the years that *258 regulator was suppressed by 0280 160 249 .

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/1/15E55A.HTM

So the *258 regulator is not available anymore , replacement for it now is *249 .. and interestingly it's even more expensive than the previous model !! averaging around 260 quid full price without the discount . 

This new replacement *249 regulator is also painted black .

I haven't tried any of the cheaper non Bosch regulators , so really can't say anything about them .

With regards to the Bosch ones , i believe there's more than a few of them to choose if going by the Bosch part numbers ... if it's 3 bar rated and with the same mounts for fitting on the rail , it should work .

This is what i got from Peugeot around 10 years ago (0 280 160 226) :

IMG_8900.JPG

IMG_8899.JPG

• Thanks 1

bacardincoke

That's spot on Damir, thanks... answers all I need.

Famous last words I know, as the car's running perfectly at the moment... I was just checking out my options should the need ever arise and it was a surprise to find out how uncommon (read that as also expensive) genuine ones were.

Daniel306

Any 3 bar rail mount regulator will work fine, I ordered the one on my car listed for a Volvo, part numbers 3517064,  0280160294.

I removed that FSE regulator as it could not pass enough fuel when i fitted a high flow fuel pump

• Thanks 1