• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daniel306

Camshaft identification

Daniel306

Is this and original J2Te camshaft? I was told this engine was fitted with a 1.6 but just trying to confirm, iv measured the intake lift at 9.7 and exhaust at 11, Not totally accurate as I didn't want to remove the spray bar 

20200613_180534.jpg

20200613_180443.jpg

Edited by Daniel306

Thijs_Rallye
14 hours ago, Daniel306 said:

Is this and original J2Te camshaft? I was told this engine was fitted with a 1.6 but just trying to confirm, iv measured the intake lift at 9.7 and exhaust at 11, Not totally accurate as I didn't want to remove the spray bar 

20200613_180534.jpg

20200613_180443.jpg

How many more stripes are there on the camshaft? Do you have a picture of the complete camshaft? Then I'll have a look in the rebuild manual.

Daniel306

Never got complete photo but im sure there was only those two stripes

Thijs_Rallye

In order to identify them I need to know exactly where those stripes are located. Can you indicate them under the corresponding equal sign below? I've already added the one I already can identify in the pictures. 

BELT====<EX>===<IN>====<IN>===<EX>====<EX>===<IN>====<IN>===<EX>====DIZZY
                                                           X 

petert

I posted some J2TE specs are while ago.:

Edited by petert

Daniel306
14 hours ago, Thijs_Rallye said:

In order to identify them I need to know exactly where those stripes are located. Can you indicate them under the corresponding equal sign below? I've already added the one I already can identify in the pictures. 

BELT====<EX>===<IN>====<IN>===<EX>====<EX>===<IN>====<IN>===<EX>====DIZZY
                     x                                      X 

Im sure that is correct but il make sure tomorrow 

Daniel306
13 hours ago, petert said:

I posted some J2TE specs are while ago.:

Iv been looking at the 4900360 turbo Cam, How did it work out, is it a direct fit without the need for the vernier pulley? My torque starts to die off after 4750rpm and i hope i can hold it longer.

petert

Easiest/cheapest is to just fit the XU10J2 cam. Otherwise you'll need to dial it in and fuel/ignition maps will need altering.

Daniel306

I'm going get mine maped again once iv done some miles, Just had it mapped 2 weeks ago and found the intercooler and exhaust are too small. Looking for a 550x300x65 intercooler and iv just made a 3" exhaust from the turbo

IMG-20200614-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.c52ace339480debe20232b8a8ee33961.jpeg

Thijs_Rallye

Can't find my XU9 manual, this is from the general XU manual. You've indicated it on a bearing surface so I still don't know where they are, but with the pic you can do it yourself ;).

IMAG2235.jpg

petert

It has to be a turbo cam. It's the only one of know of, where the exhaust has more lift than the inlet.

pug_ham
22 hours ago, Thijs_Rallye said:

Can't find my XU9 manual, this is from the general XU manual. You've indicated it on a bearing surface so I still don't know where they are, but with the pic you can do it yourself ;).

IMAG2235.jpg

Do you have this info for the standard XU5 / 9 1.6 B6D/E & 1.9 D6D GTI   cams?

I have a couple out of heads that I sat on a shelf & I left the cam pulley on one but I can't remember which I did it on? :lol:

g

Thijs_Rallye
3 hours ago, pug_ham said:

Do you have this info for the standard XU5 / 9 1.6 B6D/E & 1.9 D6D GTI   cams? 

I have a couple out of heads that I sat on a shelf & I left the cam pulley on one but I can't remember which I did it on? :lol: 

g

D6D is in the picture I posted, position 3 and 7.. I've searched but I am afraid I've lost the XU9 manual while moving houses a couple of times :(. No cam lift figures or durations in the book unfortunenately. Maybe someone else on the forum has a copy of this manual and is willing to share.

Edited by Thijs_Rallye
  • Like 1

Daniel306

Have a cam here I'm struggling to work out, I'm its supposed to be removed from a dkz but would like to confirm.

It a has a stripe at position 2 a dot at position 5, 6 and 8. Also has a mark after 8...

15986284680862920723531512739486.jpg

15986285009104885433648066868998.jpg

15986285395216711061353721883088.jpg

15986285600254764988987748712774.jpg

Edited by Daniel306

Daniel306

I'm measuring it at 11.3 lift, inlet and exhaust, so must be a D6B?

DamirGTI

Bit strange markings on that camshaft , should be paint rings not dots .. it might've been more aggressively cleaned up .

Wonder if it's perhaps later 1.8 8V LFZ cam ?

D6B is two paint rings on the cam ends next to the dizzy/thermostat housing :

33456copy11copy.jpg