• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SootySport

Bendix front pads fitting

SootySport

Does this look right to you for offside calliper?  
Does the slider Key go at the bottom of the callipers or top?

According to Haynes manual the inner pad should be higher than the outer pad

5D305F8B-B22D-451B-BFEF-2688DE0D67F5.jpeg

welshpug

the retaining plate goes on  the trailing edge, so for a front mounted caliper it should be at the top.

the haynes manual is referring to the offset type pads, compare the other pair of pads for the position of the friction material, there are non offset type as well

welshpug

dont forget the little clip for the hole in the retaining bar!

SootySport
1 hour ago, welshpug said:

the retaining plate goes on  the trailing edge, so for a front mounted caliper it should be at the top.

the haynes manual is referring to the offset type pads, compare the other pair of pads for the position of the friction material, there are non offset type as well

That makes sense then on what pads I have.  

Another mystery  —- I bought a used calliper for the offside as well.  If you look at the numbers embossed on the pad carrier it’s 343143, the original carrier Number is 343144.   This means the pad location lug is now at the bottom of the carrier and on the original iTs at the top.  Which is the correct one for offside of car?

774C8F96-3302-4420-9070-83C997008954.jpeg

Ozymandis

The wedge and clip should always be at the top, ie the same end as the bleed nipple.

Many reconditioned/rebuilt calipers are assembled with the wrong handed pad carrier casting by mistake.

I wouldn't use a caliper like that the rotational forces will be trying to force the wedge out of rather than in to its seating.

I would get another caliper,or the casting for the correct side and swap it.

Nothing special about the retaining bolts spec, just a stupid pentagonal draper socket needed from fleabay, or an angle grinder, and new bolts with a spot of loctite.

Edited by Ozymandis
syntax

SootySport
59 minutes ago, Ozymandis said:

The wedge and clip should always be at the top, ie the same end as the bleed nipple.

Many reconditioned/rebuilt calipers are assembled with the wrong handed pad carrier casting by mistake.

I wouldn't use a caliper like that the rotational forces will be trying to force the wedge out of rather than in to its seating.

I would get another caliper,or the casting for the correct side and swap it.

Nothing special about the retaining bolts spec, just a stupid pentagonal draper socket needed from fleabay, or an angle grinder, and new bolts with a spot of loctite.

I was going to swap over the carrier but as you say, stupid pentaganol bolts there.   Probably grind them off as you say.  Thanks for the answer.

Tom Fenton

Annoying I know but the correct socket can be bought in a set of 3 for £7 off eBay. 

SootySport
1 hour ago, Tom Fenton said:

Annoying I know but the correct socket can be bought in a set of 3 for £7 off eBay. 

Couldn’t find them, I’ll break out the angry grinder.

Tom Fenton

AF7A5146-5D34-4A89-8A4E-218E78B26A84.jpeg

SootySport

That’s good I’ll order one, Don’t want to risk damaging the good callipers and I’m in no hurry.

pug_ham

Don't forget the springs hooks the slide onto the pads too.

g

SootySport
8 hours ago, pug_ham said:

Don't forget the springs hooks the slide onto the pads too.

g

Yep, have al those.