• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Quick Question Regarding 309 Parts On A 205

Anthony

Quick question regarding the use of parts from a 309 GTi on a 205.

1) Is the power steering rack the same on both the 309 and 205?

2) Is there any advantage in using a 309 front ARB (anti-roll bar) on a 205? The car in question will be having 309 front wishbones and 309 rear beam transplanted onto it sometime in the new year, and wondered if the 309 ARB would be more suited?

The rack and ARB are from a K-reg (so 92/93) 309 GTi if that makes any difference.

Many thanks :)

Anthony.

Edited by Anthony

Guest Antoni1.9

Anthony,

The PAS rack is the same BUT the steering arms are approx 10mm longer per side.

I just cut mine down to suit the 205 and it is OK.

You will need the appropriate intermediate shaft from the steering column as this is shorter than NON-PAS

Dont know about the suspension I'm afraid.

HTH

Antoni

les3002

as above the rack is the same so just swap the track rods and rod ends with your 205 manual ones

not sure about the 309 arb is it any thicker than the 205 one?

Hilgie

It's slightly thicker and you can use it on the 205 as well.

Guest jonnie205

If you are running 309 arms though you might aswell leave the longer 309 track rod ends on 309

Alan_M

So the 309 arb is worthwhile on a 205GTi?

Anthony, we might as well buy the whole car at this rate!

pug_ham

Just been looking on the parts CD & the older phase 1 309 GTi had a thicker front ARB according to my copy, 21mm upto Mod 1989 & then only 17mm after that which is the same as the 205 GTi but the 309 GTi 16 has the 21mm only listed.

It also shows the rear ARB as either 14, 16 or 20mm but with a 21mm rear ARB on the GTi 16.

Graham.:angry:

Wurzel

Just for my old confused brain,

what exactly is the 309 GTi 16 version??

les3002

it was basically a 309 mi16 only sold in europe

Wurzel

Well there you go, learn something new everyday. Must be as rare as the T16 though as I've never heard about it.

Anthony

Don't really hear much about them because they're LHD only and were never imported over here. I'd assume that they were fairly common over in Europe, at least more so than the 205 T16

I've only ever seen one 309 GTi16 and that had been converted into a rallycar that Richard Burns used to drive (it was on display at the Rallycar day at Castle Combe back in the summer)

Hilgie

The official Peugeot brochure: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/205cgticlubdefranc...re-GTI16-91.htm

Only in the Netherlands there are still a few hundred of these cars running. There were thousands made, only in the colors Miami Blue, Antracite and Black.

So it's easy to say that they are certainly NOT rare.

Wurzel

No Hilgie, perhaps not rare in Europe. Not seen very much in the UK though. :lol:

Thanks for the lesson though guys :wacko:

pug_ham

There was a LHD 89-90 G reg one featured in Max Power ages ago that someone had imported in Topaz Blue that was on a trackday at Knockhill.

IIRC there was a 309 GTI16 rallycar at the Frenchcarshow last year but that was stripped out obviously.

One more reason for looking for work in France or Europe where you have the added range of Pugs, 309 GTi-16 & 405 T16. :lol:

Graham.:wacko:

jackherer
Just been looking on the parts CD & the older phase 1 309 GTi had a thicker front ARB according to my copy, 21mm upto Mod 1989 & then only 17mm after that which is the same as the 205 GTi but the 309 GTi 16 has the 21mm only listed.

I got a front arb off a phase two 309 GTI and it was most definitely thicker than a 205 1.9 arb.

Jim

I read on this forum (a long time ago) that fitting the thicker front ARB from a 309 to a 205 made it understeer because it stiffens the front too much.

Wurzel

I guess it would definately cause the tyres to work harder and would be prone to understeer in the wet more.

There is a very good pinned thread at the top of this forum that is worth a read on suspension and how it works.

Sign in to follow this